Dreamin' of Sailing

No longer Landlocked

28 March 2014 | Key West, FL
Mari
Sadly, we've been landlocked for a couple of days due to high seas and unfavorable winds. On the positive side, we already had planned to be back in Key West to wait out the weather, so we got to see some of the local color and more great sunsets, which Kilian was anxious to do. :-). We explored some of the other Keys, walked Duvall Street, etc.

Dave was pretty disappointed to let the boat sit at the dock for 2 days, and I was feeling pretty bad, feeling responsible for holding us back. But today we got out on the water, with considerably smaller seas and lighter winds than yesterday, and it was still more than enough for me, so I'm not feeling so bad now! I think we made the right call.

The sail to the Key West Harbor was good, but still with big waves and heavy winds. This made the anchoring especially difficult, and fortunately we found a mooring buoy to tie up to. We tied up early in the day instead of sailing and exploring more due to the heavy winds. After settling in to our spot, we enjoyed a dolphin show right out the back of our boat. We watched the dolphins for hours, and they were so amazing!

We spent Friday night in the Key West Harbor, where the winds were supposed to diminish, but instead they seemed to get stronger and stronger as the day and night progressed.

I must admit, after many days of really strong winds circling around our boat and making the wind generator "whirl", day and night, I was ready for the wind to stop. I just didn't want to hear it any more! I couldnt' take it any more! (And I needed some sleep). I'm the worrywart of the crew -- checking the lines, our position, the anchor alarm all night.

That's all from First Mate Mari -- I'll turn the writing back over to Kilian.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elara
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 mk2
Hailing Port: La Conner, WA
Crew: Dave and Mari Latimer
About: Dave and Mari live in La Conner, WA, and sail the San Juan Islands and surrounding waters. The blog is used for both sailing and RV adventures.
Extra:
Elara is the 8th largest moon of Jupiter, and is named after Elara, one of the lovers of Zeus and the mother of the giant, Tityus. She was a mortal princess, the daughter of King Orchomenus. Zeus hid her from his wife, Hera, deep within the Earth, where she gave birth to Tityus. We sailed a boat [...]
Elara's Photos - Main
88 Photos
Created 19 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 6 June 2014
71 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
Enjoy some photos of our 2012 adventures between St. Helens and Astoria. Stops include Cathlamet, Ilwaco and Astoria.
13 Photos
Created 17 May 2013