Elevation - World Adventures

An occasional blog covering our world circumnavigation.

24 September 2020 | Crystalbrook Super Yacht Marina
07 September 2020 | Cairns
14 August 2020 | The Cassowary Coast
24 June 2020 | Coral Sea Coast
14 June 2020 | Whitsundays
23 May 2020 | Queensland Coast
09 April 2020
12 March 2020 | Manly, Qld
11 March 2020 | Coffs Harbour
07 March 2020 | Port Stephens, NSW
31 December 2019 | Sydney, Australia
18 September 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
03 September 2019 | Hunter Valley, NSW
03 August 2019 | Sydney, Australia
02 July 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
15 June 2019 | Sydney, Australia
03 June 2019 | Perth, Australia
24 May 2019 | Fremantle, Western Australia
23 May 2019 | Perth, Western Australia

CIQ Colon - Total Panamania!

11 June 2016 | Shelter Bay Marina, Cristobal, Colon, Panama
Jill
Sailing the world presents many challenges - plotting appropriate courses to take advantage of weather conditions and currents, researching anchorages, learning about local cultures, knowing all the varied currencies and coinage plus exchange rates and dealing with the full spectrum of bureaucracy as you enter and leave your chosen countries. For our non cruising friends, unlike arriving at airports and mostly getting stamped in automatically, we sailors have to abide by mostly antiquated Customs, Immigration and Quarantine laws. Upon entering a countries designated waters, we need to raise a yellow "Q" flag - a required process that dates back to the 14th Century. We sometimes need to raise a courtesy flag (ie the flag of the country we are visiting, which is flown from midships to starboard) as we arrive, sometimes after being checked in, but always whilst we are actively living onboard as a mark of respect to the nation whose hospitality we are enjoying. We need to present ourselves to various officials - Customs, Immigration, Port Captain and Health or Quarantine- and we occasionally need to obtain special permits to cruise the local waters of our chosen destination. Sometimes it is a simple and easy process - in Port Antonio Jamaica, the Errol Flynn Marina has a fantastic relationship with the local officials who all come to your boat and complete formalities onboard; it was our best experience ever of arriving and departing a country and the Jamaican authorities should be incredibly proud of their wonderful service to the sailing community.

Colon, Panama however is at the opposite end of the spectrum - WORST.CHECK IN.EVER. We have spent the best part of two and a half days trying to comply with required processes and are completely disappointed in the lack of client service and even the basic level of understanding of their own procedures demonstrated by all agencies. Shelter Bay Marina advertises the availability of a Port Captain representative - fantastic, but according to dockside rumour the guy apparently also moonlights as a cab driver, is unreliable and often missing in action. He certainly wasn't there when both ourselves and a Norwegian vessel arrived this week, meaning that we were forced to head into Colon to ensure we were compliant with CIQ. We've been subsequently shunted from office to office - Servico Nacional de Migracion (Immigration) Central, Autoridad Maritima De Panama (Port Captain) Panama Port, Immigration Panama Port, back to Immigration in central Colon, on to the Port Captain in central Colon, with our last call to again be Central Immigration to finally receive a 3 month Marinos Visa. We've been hit up for USD25 gratuities from the Port Captains office at Panama Port - reason being cruiser check ins are not part of their usual workload function and the official was doing us a favour (hard to take given their actual designated officer is a regular no show at the marina).

As I write this, we are waiting in the office of Autoridad Maritima in central Colon whilst our cruising permit is slowly being completed. Yesterday, we arrived here at 11.45 to be informed that there would not be enough time to process our request - the lady team member going into great detail about her needing to 'Soon drink coffee, make some lunch, and take a rest break". Apparently when she then returned at 14.30 there would not be time to complete our documentation and we would need to come back after 1000 today - "maƱana ..... It will be ready in the morning". So here we are, patiently waiting since arriving at 0950 after a 90 minute bus trip and a taxi ride. We've seen the staff playing on their phones, casually chatting, applying makeup, having a team meeting and generally doing F... ALL since we sat down. The staff member from yesterday, who was going to have our document ready this morning will not make eye contact as she obviously hasn't made any effort to deliver on her commitment. To say we are frustrated is an understatement, however we are visitors to their country and will continue to be patient and polite.

The only saving grace in this experience has been meeting a delightful taxi driver called Williams. He has been incredibly helpful, interpreting as needed in each of various offices we've been dealing with, driving us around from location to location and where possible, minimising us paying extra gratuities. It's essential to travel by cab in the city - despite being the gateway to the Panama Canal, Colon is a very rundown, very impoverished city and "Gringos" are easy targets for muggers and bag snatchers. If you're a cruiser reading this, we highly recommend his services - you can contact him locally at 6544-9161. Of course, if you're a cruiser reading this, we suggest that you head to any other official port to check in ... Colon clearly functions primarily for commercial shipping and we simply don't rate in anyone's eyes in this town! And if you're not a cruiser and reading this, be grateful for all the easy CIQ processes when you hit the tarmac!
Comments
Vessel Name: Elevation
Vessel Make/Model: Buizen 48 Mark II
Hailing Port: Fremantle, Western Australia
Crew: Paul & Jill
About:
After deciding to live our dream of sailing the world, one day at a time, we left home in April 2010. Since then, we've cruised the West Australian coast, the Kimberley, Northern Territory to Darwin, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. [...]
Extra: When we're at sea, we are contactable via a slow speed Email service we access through our HF radio. If you wish to touch base, send a message to vnw5919@sailmail.com. No photos or attachments though, as they won't transmit!
Home Page: http://nococonuts.wix.com/sv-elevation
Elevation's Photos - Main
2 Photos
Created 11 April 2018
11 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
18 Photos
Created 9 April 2018
14 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 7 April 2018
21 Photos
Created 4 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2018
19 Photos
Created 29 March 2018
15 Photos
Created 28 March 2018
Days 1-4 of Our 2 Island Road Trip
22 Photos
Created 25 March 2018
A few snaps of our recent road trip with friends Paul and Heather
34 Photos
Created 1 February 2018
27 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
A Day Trip to Kingstown
17 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
A Day Out on the Coast
21 Photos
Created 16 June 2006