Elevation - World Adventures

An occasional blog covering our world circumnavigation.

24 September 2020 | Crystalbrook Super Yacht Marina
07 September 2020 | Cairns
14 August 2020 | The Cassowary Coast
24 June 2020 | Coral Sea Coast
14 June 2020 | Whitsundays
23 May 2020 | Queensland Coast
09 April 2020
12 March 2020 | Manly, Qld
11 March 2020 | Coffs Harbour
07 March 2020 | Port Stephens, NSW
31 December 2019 | Sydney, Australia
18 September 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
03 September 2019 | Hunter Valley, NSW
03 August 2019 | Sydney, Australia
02 July 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
15 June 2019 | Sydney, Australia
03 June 2019 | Perth, Australia
24 May 2019 | Fremantle, Western Australia
23 May 2019 | Perth, Western Australia

Haul Out 2016

27 August 2016 | Shelter Bay Marina
Jill
Back at Shelter Bay Marina, our primary goal was to ready Elevation for haul out. We spent a week completing all the necessary "on water" tasks - cleaning & polishing, both inside and out; engine and generator maintenance; sorting out food supplies and vacuum packing provisions as necessary; and prepping for our "on the hard" job list. Paul was unhappy with the performance of our engine - he had tweaked the fuel flow whilst we were out in the Guna Yala which, instead of giving us additional speed actually decreased output. Fearing either an issue with the injectors or fuel pump, he decided to consult Greg aka "The Engine Whisperer" who is a cruiser and long term resident at the marina. Both agreed that the best course of action was to remove the injectors for testing. The weekly SBM bus run to Panama City had been cancelled whilst we were out on anchor, meaning that we needed to engage a driver for the day. Greg recommended a guy called Roger (Rogelio) - very reliable, reasonably priced and very knowledgeable about marine suppliers and other service providers. So, off to Panama City we went. Testing the injectors was our first mission; all ok, with the guys at Rivas Picas not even charging us for checking them! The technician suggested that Paul make a further minor adjustment to our fuel pump (there is apparently a small grub screw that may also have needed to be tweaked - the fuel pump was rebuilt in Bali in 2010 in some difficult conditions and this screw may be the reason that the engine was being overfuelled after Paul's initial adjustment). The rest of the day was spent chasing Yanmar spares (as it turns out, they are very well priced here at around 1/3 of the cost in either Australia or the USA), purchasing oil and other miscellaneous items. Navigating your way around Panama City is pretty tricky as for some reason, there are no actual street addresses and the locals locate places via landmarks. Luckily, Roger has been a resident of PC for over 30 years and if he doesn't know where something is, it isn't worth finding! He helped us track down what we thought was going to be a retail outlet for Nespresso (it was actually someone's apartment and was several storeys up in a building undergoing significant renovation). He also introduced us to a great chandlery - Centro Marino - and a fabulous hardware/department store called Discovery which was filled with so many items we hadn't seen in ages, including Foodsaver bags and rolls for our vacuum packer. We certainly would never have stumbled across such a treasure trove on our own and knowing what's available means we won't have to cart masses of supplies back from our Aussie trip!

Working through the last of our freezer supplies, we invited Mike and Leanne from Ooroo 1 - another Aussie vessel home ported in Fremantle - for a lamb roast. What a fun night .... we love other cruisers company, and to have dinner with some of our own Freo tribe and fellow Dockers tragics was especially enjoyable. Needless to say the wine and the conversation flowed !!!!

With all our onboard work completed, we hauled out on 23 August. The yard guys were prompt and professional and our lift was a seamless process. Our major jobs were to swap out the cutlass bearing and the PSS shaft seal; this meant that we needed to remove both the propeller and the shaft. Two very long days of work ensued however we completed everything successfully plus stripped and polished all prop blades. Next was some bottom painting - due to the constant rain that fell in Jamaica whilst we were painting our new rudder, over 1/3 of the antifoul had simply "fallen off". With all our land based tasks completed, we oversaw the installation of a dehumidifier in the galley - an absolute essential in the tropics to ensure that mould is held at bay internally - plus set cockroach baits in a number of strategic locations. In the nine years that we have been liveaboards, we've been super vigilant about keeping vermin at bay and having seen a couple of roaches fly in whilst in our slip, we were not keen to have them move on board!

With our bags packed, it was time to say goodbye to our beautiful girl; she is to be transferred to the secure hardstanding area, where full shrinkwrap will be applied in order to minimise grime and moisture for the 6 months she will be land based. We're now off to Panama City to play Turista!

Comments
Vessel Name: Elevation
Vessel Make/Model: Buizen 48 Mark II
Hailing Port: Fremantle, Western Australia
Crew: Paul & Jill
About:
After deciding to live our dream of sailing the world, one day at a time, we left home in April 2010. Since then, we've cruised the West Australian coast, the Kimberley, Northern Territory to Darwin, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. [...]
Extra: When we're at sea, we are contactable via a slow speed Email service we access through our HF radio. If you wish to touch base, send a message to vnw5919@sailmail.com. No photos or attachments though, as they won't transmit!
Home Page: http://nococonuts.wix.com/sv-elevation
Elevation's Photos - Main
2 Photos
Created 11 April 2018
11 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
18 Photos
Created 9 April 2018
14 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 7 April 2018
21 Photos
Created 4 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2018
19 Photos
Created 29 March 2018
15 Photos
Created 28 March 2018
Days 1-4 of Our 2 Island Road Trip
22 Photos
Created 25 March 2018
A few snaps of our recent road trip with friends Paul and Heather
34 Photos
Created 1 February 2018
27 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
A Day Trip to Kingstown
17 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
A Day Out on the Coast
21 Photos
Created 16 June 2006