Elixir of New Zealand

Elixir NZ Marmaris to Kos

08 July 2011


02 July 2011 cruise is now officially underway as we are on a yacht in Istanbul. The yacht that we are on is Kristiane belonging to Paddy and Carolyn of Australia.



Picture is of Paddy standing beside his Yacht Kristiane with a bag of washing for the laundry. No he is not leaving home!
Tomorrow we leave at dawn by plane from Ataturk Airport and fly down to Dalaman where we will catch a bus to Marmaris for a welcome reunion with Elixir. Elixir is due to be launched on Monday and if Jenny and I are not there then we get charged 500 euro to have the marina staff park it in the marina for us!
We can not really give a good account of our travels without going over a few of the trials and tribulations of getting away from New Zealand. We were due to fly out a week ago but the ash cloud from Chili grounded all our flights so we had to rebook twice and each time the price went up due to the increased demand as more and more would be travellers were scrambling for whatever tickets were available. I had been so proud of the fact that Jenny and I had managed to book our passage all the way to Marmaris for the total price of $2,300nz . Well the best laid plans of mice and men and all that sort of thing meant that we have finally got there, well almost, for $3,400nz. There is however a silver lining to this cloud as the hold up gave Jenny time to complete two more house sales with two of our very good clients meaning that even taking into account the increase in Airfares and the delay in timing we have come out with quite a net profit from the whole thing. There is no doubt in my mind now therefore that a good woman is a great asset for a cruising man!

First flight out of Auckland was a 10 hour flight to Kuala Lumpur where we stayed with my brother Ian and sister in Law, Jenny, yes still another Jenny! Such saves Ian and I the embarrassment of forgetting the names of our sisters in law! Ian and Jenny have a whole bunch of Nieces who certainly know how to dress up a party as they are quite the most stunning looking lot of young women, meaning that my chest swelled with pride to be seen with them out and about at the wonderful eating places to be found in that city.





The Shangri-La was our first stop for lunch! Yes indeed I am not beyond a bit of name dropping when the opportunity presents itself! Here is a bonus tip for you all, if exotic and tasty food is your bag then you can not go past Kuala Lumpur with surroundings in veering levels of grandeur from princely right down to street stalls, all with food that is tasty and interesting with wonderful sauces and recipes. I am a real fan of this city.

02/07/11 early morning, just after Midnight, We left KL at for a direct flight with Malaysian Air right through non stop to Istanbul. On arrival we spent the day with Paddy and Carolyne Mitchell who had their yacht moored in a marina handy to all the lovely parts of Istanbul. Jenny headed off to the spice markets and Grand Bazaar while Paddy and I and a friend of Paddy's spent a very pleasant time drinking cold beers and taking in the scenery. We rejoined the Girls for tea and drinkies on the yacht before retiring for the night onboard.

4:30 next morning 3 July, and Jenny and I were heading off to the airport. At 5am the sound of the call to prayers from all the minuetts setting up a Mexican wave of calls around the inner city. I was off to the toilets and on the way tripped over a small step in the concrete and skinned my knee . I thought my dignity would be in ruins but I think the guards at the gate thought I was doing my bit for morning prayers, supposedly enhanced by my own calls to a well named Deity. Just as well that no English was understood!

Arrived in Dalaman at 8:35 am 3 July, and straight on to a bus for the hour and quarter bus trip through the southern Turkish countryside to Marmaris. Transfer to a Taxi and out to the Marmaris Yat Marin where Elixir would be waiting where we left her two years ago. What no Yacht!



But I could see the marks where she had been stored so I made a quick scout to find her secured in the water right in the slipway where she had been deposited the day before. It was so good to clap eyes on her and enter into the welcoming cabin. Found the steering had ceased up completely and the decks and cockpit in a state of filth. So first up a cup of tea and then to work. Well we worked away until midnight by which time all was glowing and clean again with the steering fixed and fully operational. Due to the harshness of the heat in this part of the world I had taken down all of our halyards and removable rigging and had replaced them with nylon ratlines when last I left Elixir. We had expected to only be away for 10 months so I had not anticipated that over two years all of the nylon ratlines would corrode away in the sun and fall to dusty bits.

4 July, was spent with riggers up the mast re-rigging and running all lines which turned out to be a bit of a marathon job. By the end of that day all was done.

5 July, we bussed into Marmaris town to get our papers stamped by all and sundry in order that we could export our yacht out of Turkey. We did have a fine to pay as our last cruising permit had expired a year before! Oh! Well here we go again with all the unexpected expenses. By the end of the day were all legal again and ready to put to sea, that is but for clearing the Marina legals which can not be done prior to 08:30 tomorrow.









6 July, 1030 we drop our mooring lines and headed out of Marmaris Harbour and thus Turkey with destination Symi. Symi is a very beautiful Greek Island and is situated close to Turkey about 30 miles North of Rhodes. It is also a port of entry into Greece so being just 40 miles from Marmaris we make that our destination. After all our travels it was so good to be sailing again. Strong wind dead ahead of us with a large reef in the main and genoa rolled to it's second reefing marks, 28knots of wind and Elixir was skipping off the waves and I swear I could hear her singing and yelling as she ducked her bow under the odd wave and heeled to the wind with a very comfortable motion at 7 knots. Yahoo! After an hour of port tack we threw in a board and spent the next two hours on starboard heading back to the cliffs on the Turkish southern coast where we found ourselves sailing amongst a series of Gulets , catamarans, sloops and superyachts, Heaven can be had right here on earth! All my sins must have finally been forgiven! We pass Serce Limani and the castle ruins of Bozak Buku then we head out off the coast again before tacking around the Turkish headland with Symi now just 8 miles away. Spectacular scenery in all directions. The wind dropped away to nothing and we motor the final few miles on a flat sea.

Jenny, bless her heart, was enjoying it as much as me and did not feel at all seasick, for which she has been known to succumb to in the past. I suggested to her that we keep on just sailing until we get to New Zealand, but noooo! Symi it must indeed be, by decree, as it is one of Jenny's favourites and 7 hours was long enough on the water for the first day, I rest informed.







So 5pm and we are tied stern to in Symi amongst super-yachts and cruisers and I am off to spend the next four hours traipsing between Harbour-masters office and the furthermost building from there, wayyyyy round on the other side of the harbour, the Police Station. Feet so sore in the heat, and sweating like a shearer. Everything got stamped to death and then we had our Greek entry papers and access to the European Union all legalised, actually they seem to like New Zealanders in these parts. Brought a six pack for me and a cold bottle of Chardonnay for SWMBO, then... we into our cockpit with the sun tent up for a bit of welcome fluid replacement.... Soooo happy I wouldn't call the King my uncle!





07 July 2011 6:00 and we slip our moorings in Symi and head off into the dim morning.


We knew that we must reach Kos by 2pm to get a car rented and pick up David and Elizabeth Hicks from the Kos airport.















Set up the main off a little Church still on Symi just a few miles from the boat harbour.






Ok so we had to motor for a bit. This allowed both Jenny and I to take turns at sleeping as we moved back into Turkish waters to pass by Knidos and head north to Kos.



Kos township just ahead. Rounding the South Eastern Part of Kos Island.



Headsail wound in and about to drop the main as the entrance to the marina is just to port out of sight of the camera.



Jenny and I hired a little Jeep and headed off to the Northern end of Cos where the airport was located to pick up David and Elizabeth, on time as planned.





Now all we have to do is finish fitting their luggage and them into this little jeep!





After getting back to the Marina we set off walking into town for shopping and a place for tea.



Found a place for tea.



"Back in Omaha our drinks are this tall! It's true I tell you!"





While the girls were shopping David and I just roamed around. It occured to me that while I was wandering around that I would do a bit of research for advertising ideas! Purely business you understand...Maybe able to tax deduct my trip! Yeah right!

Comments
Vessel Name: Elixir NZ
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 45 Classic
Hailing Port: Tauranga, New Zealand
Crew: Ted & Jenny Peacocke
About:
Blog of the cruises of Elixir a Dufour 45 Classic bought by New Zealand couple Ted and Jenny Peacocke in June 2007 taking delivery in Kinsale, Ireland. [...]
Elixir NZ's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 9 July 2023
30 Photos
Created 8 July 2023
20 Photos
Created 6 July 2023
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2023
19 Photos
Created 2 July 2023
37 Photos
Created 24 September 2022
44 Photos
Created 19 September 2022
25 Photos
Created 19 September 2022
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2022
40 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
30 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
10 Photos
Created 17 September 2022
No Photos
Created 17 September 2022
35 Photos
Created 16 September 2022
61 Photos
Created 15 September 2022
No Photos
Created 15 September 2022
64 Photos
Created 15 September 2022
299 Photos
Created 15 September 2022
54 Photos
Created 14 September 2022
103 Photos
Created 13 September 2022
35 Photos
Created 12 September 2022
70 Photos
Created 12 September 2022
26 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
96 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
24 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
45 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
43 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
18 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
67 Photos
Created 10 September 2022
128 Photos
Created 9 September 2022
26 Photos
Created 7 September 2022
23 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
33 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
8 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
11 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
22 Photos
Created 5 September 2022
No Photos
Created 5 September 2022
40 Photos
Created 5 September 2022
35 Photos
Created 5 September 2022
2 Photos
Created 4 September 2022
43 Photos
Created 4 September 2022
25 Photos
Created 3 September 2022
30 Photos
Created 3 September 2022
29 Photos
Created 2 September 2022
7 Photos
Created 2 September 2022
33 Photos
Created 1 September 2022
16 Photos
Created 29 August 2022
68 Photos
Created 25 August 2022
13 Photos
Created 25 August 2022
2 Photos
Created 25 August 2022
75 Photos
Created 23 August 2022
22 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
35 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
16 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
17 Photos
Created 18 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 16 August 2022
17 Photos
Created 15 August 2022
1 Photo
Created 15 August 2022
16 Photos
Created 15 August 2022
12 Photos
Created 14 August 2022
24 Photos
Created 14 August 2022
16 Photos
Created 12 August 2022
25 Photos
Created 11 August 2022
21 Photos
Created 11 August 2022
10 Photos
Created 11 August 2022
26 Photos
Created 10 August 2022
12 Photos
Created 10 August 2022
7 Photos
Created 10 August 2022
58 Photos
Created 8 August 2022
59 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
72 Photos
Created 5 August 2022
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2022

The South Seas Sailors

Who: Ted & Jenny Peacocke
Port: Tauranga, New Zealand