Will & Tam's Atlantic Adventure 2009-2010

Follow our progress as Elmarleen does her third Atlantic crossing this year!

02 August 2010 | Elmarleen
01 August 2010 | Elmarleen
31 July 2010 | Elmarleen
30 July 2010 | Elmarleen
29 July 2010 | Elmarleen
29 July 2010 | Elmarleen
26 July 2010 | Elmarleen
25 July 2010 | Elmarleen
24 July 2010 | Elmarleen
24 July 2010 | Elmarleen
23 July 2010 | Elmarleen
05 July 2010 | Elmarleen
05 July 2010 | Elmarleen
04 July 2010 | Elmarleen
03 July 2010 | Elmarleen
02 July 2010 | Elmarleen

The last 10 days

22 January 2010 | ELMARLEEN
Carriacou Island

We found the main anchorage on Carriacou, Tyrrel Bay some what disappointing after our upwind slog of four or so hours from Sandy island. I thought these were the Windward island meaning they were upwind and anywhere onwards was down wind?! Anyway, as I was saying Tyrrel bay didn�'t live up to the Chris Doyle guide book. The water wasn�'t clear and not that inviting. The first day we walked from Tyrrel Bay to Hillsborough, the capital, via Paradise beach which was amazing. No resorts or bars just a half mile long stretch of the sort of beaches you see in the brochure. Hillsborough was basically a main street with a few shops and a bus stop. After lunch at Ann and Sharons café ( very cheap very local �- fried chicken) we caught a bus to windward, a place famous for its boat building. We walked around and I bored Tam taking photos of two traditionally built carvel sloops. Carriacou Sloops �- apparently they learnt their skills from the Scottish. Having done the island in a day and not thinking much of the anchorage we left for the well known Sandy Island. A sand strip held together with a few tuft of grass. Wow, this is more like it, crystal clear water, white sandy beaches. I kayaked around the island, its about a quarter of a mile long and 30 meters wide. We also scrubbed the bottom of the boat, something we have been meaning to do since Barbados but the water hasn�'t been clear enough. In the process I saw a sting ray swim under the boat.

We stayed anchored off sandy island for the night and then motored to Hillsborough to clear customs and immigration as this is the last port of clearance of Grenada. Off to PSV Petite St Vincent we went. Check it out on the internet, it is a tiny private island that has a very exclusive resort on. We went ashore and walked around the beaches and it was lovely, every room has its own stretch of beach and sea. The only method of transport are mini mokes and they have built a little village for the 50 staff. We had a drink in the hotel bar and a swim and kayak around the beaches. The next day we dinghied the mile stretch of water across to Petite Martinique. Apparently the highest income per person than any other Caribbean island and what do they do �- it appeared to be nothing �- they say fishing, the rest of the world believes it to be smuggling. There was even less to do here than Carriacou and PSV so we only stayed an hour and then dingh�'d back for our 2nd night in PSV.

The following day we left and sailed to Morpion �- this is special �- check out our photos. This is a sandy island with nothing but a shelter on it. We anchored outside the reef and dingyied ashore for a swim. The water surrounding it was crystal clear and there were fish swimming around all the reefs. Anyone following us �- don�'t miss it out.

We left Morpion and headed to Clifton, Union Island for lunch. Clifton is apparently the place to prevision for the Tobago Cays and the islands between here and Bequia, which we were pleased to know as we had found so little since Grenada. Well it wasn�'t that impressive. Everything is deeply deeply frozen and looks like it has been defrosted, frozen, defrosted, frozen at least 30 times. This however is the place to provision! Not much else to do in Clifton so we left after one night and headed round to Frigate Island on the south cost of Union. A quiet anchorage after busy Clifton - our first introduction to the Caribbean Boat Boys. They try and sell you anything and everything �- mooring for the night, lobster, jewellery, bread (probably mouldy). They even told me that I was anchored in hard sand and likely to drag into the reef �- they were trying to sell me a mooring buoy �- lots fell for it. Oh we also cleared into St Vincent and the Grenadines in Clifton �- an experience that took us to the local airport �- well more like an airfield and a couple of jobs worths. Anyway, Frigate Island was very peaceful and there were only three of us there for the night. We dinghy�'d into Ashton for an hour and then headed back for the evening and our first taste of Union frozen chicken �- we survived!

The following day we left Frigate Island and headed round to Chatham bay �- A large bay on the western side of Union island. We anchored with about 1.5 meters under the keel and really close up to the beach. The number of fish in the water was incredible. We snorkelled amongst the shoals of thousands of fish. This however meant there were loads of pelicans �- see photos. I spent a day trying to be a BBC wildlife photographer and drifting around in the dinghy with the camera. Unfortunately I didn�'t get the photo I wanted of the pelican diving into the water and coming up with a fish in its mouth. We stayed here two night and really enjoyed the bay. It was steep sided with lush green hills. The water was clear and snorkelling good �- For all these islands and bays it probably best to check out the photos �- tell a lot more than my waffle.

So we left Union island ( yesterday (Thursday)) and are now in Mayreau the last stop before the Tobago Cays. We are anchored in Salt Whistle bay and what I would call paradise. Its busy with lots of charter yachts and boat boys selling lobster and fish but this place is special. Google earth it and try and get an idea. We are anchored in 1 meter of water about a stones throw from the beach. We dont bother using the dinghy we just swim ashore. The water is like a swimming pool. I dived down and stood on the bottom measuring the height of the keel off the sand, against my leg �- it came to my hip height. Its so still and its not rolly, it by far the closest I have come to finding what I thought the Caribbean would be like. Its nearly perfect. We have decided to stay three nights before heading to the Tobago Cays on Sunday. No internet here so you will have to wait for the photos �- they are pretty special.

Next we are off to Tobago Cays where we hope to find Turtles and more sand and sea. I hope to take the boat around to Petite Tabac which is the island Johny Depp got marooned on with Kiera Knightly in Pirates of the Caribbean with nothing but rum �- remember the scene.

Oh and before I go �- Barracuda No.2 �- I caught him and killed him this time! Bloody huge teeth and quiet a little fighter but he soon past out once he got the Jack Iron rum squirted ( using our ketchup squeezer ) in the gills. I filletted him �- best so far �- chopped him up into Waitrose look alike portions and we ate them �- sorry him �- for dinner and lunch today. Getting a bit bored of the Barry now and looking for some Mahi Mahi next.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elmarleen
Vessel Make/Model: Sigma 33 C
Hailing Port: Southampton
Home Page: www.willymakeit.co.uk

Tam & Will

Port: Southampton
Will Sayer Racing