El Shaddai

Tayana Vancouver 42 Sailboat

15 August 2010 | Merida
15 August 2010 | Jaji
15 August 2010 | Jaji, Venezuela
15 August 2010 | Venezuela
15 August 2010 | Merida, Venezuela
15 August 2010 | Merida, Venezuela
15 August 2010 | Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Tortuga, Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Tortuga, Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Tortuga, Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Tortuga, Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Tortuga, Venezuela
12 July 2010 | Tortuga, Venezuela
07 July 2010 | Navimca, Venezuela
07 July 2010 | Venezuela
07 July 2010 | Cumana, Venezuela
07 July 2010 | Cumana, Venezuela
07 July 2010 | Makro Store, Cumana, Venezuela

Saturday Morning Market

24 August 2007 | Roseau, Dominica
This market was very inviting with its fresh fruit and vegetables. We were going exploring today and didn't have time to stop.

We caught a bus near the market. Their destinations were not posted so we initially said we wanted a bus to Castle Bruce (Lonely Planet's recommendation). Then we said we were going to Emerald Pond. The driver assured us he went to the turnoff for Emerald Pond, so on we got.

The buses are actually minivans and are designed so there is a drop down seat along the isle, ensuring every square inch is occupied. When someone in the back needs to get off, everyone in the isle seats have to get off and let them off.

On this trip, a man in the back row needed a 1-gallon jug filled with gasoline for work so he asked the driver to stop at a service station, which he did. The station was out of gasoline so the man asked if the driver could backtrack to a station we had passed. The driver turned around and headed back. This station had gasoline. The driver then got out, took the jug through the back window, got it filled and returned with the jug and the man's change. Bill announced to a couple of people sitting nearby, "that would never happen in Canada". This is just the way it is in these islands, full service (with a smile).

We left the city and went some distance along the windy, mountainous roads. We eventually came to a fork in the road and the driver said it was our stop. Yes, he did go to the turnoff to Emerald Pond but the Castle Bruce bus would have gone right by the entrance. We set off for a long hike but after about 20 minutes a minivan stopped and gave us a ride. It was an employee from Emerald Pond who figured that was our destination. He accepted an average local bus fare and took us right to the entrance. It would have taken us at least another 25 minutes to hike in.
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42
Hailing Port: Vancouver, Canada
Crew: Bill & Bev Bate
Extra: Our mission is to participate in the development and spread of goodwill between countries and peoples through Schools Beyond Borders Foundation.

El Shaddai

Who: Bill & Bev Bate
Port: Vancouver, Canada