Skipper Shirl's Adventure

10 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
08 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
03 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
27 November 2014
14 November 2014 | Eau Gallle, Fl
13 November 2014 | Melbourn, Fl
11 October 2014 | Key West
10 September 2014 | West Haven Ct
06 September 2014 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 June 2014 | Turks and Caicos
01 June 2014 | Atlantic
31 May 2014 | Miami Fl
08 February 2014 | Marathon Airport
01 January 2014 | Bethany, Ct
31 December 2013 | Brattlevile , VT
21 December 2013 | Connecticut
15 December 2013 | Marthon, Fl
14 December 2013 | Marathon , Fl
28 November 2013 | Seven Mile Grill, Marathon, Fl
27 November 2013 | Big Pine Key

Trip Diary

21 May 2010 | Great Bahama Banks
Shirl/ great
The diary of the wondering Captain Shirley.

May 21 & 22, 2010
Arrived on Monday, May 22. about 5 PM after motoring from 1 AM that morning. Let me regress... the previous day was also spent motoring from Bimini to the Great Bahamas' Banks where we anchored in the middle of no where on the edge of the tongue of the ocean.. We only stayed from about dark, 8 PM, until our departure time.

May 23, 2010

Here we are in the great tourist mica of Nassau ... freezing in the air conditioning of Starbucks while I type this letter.

Plans so far include a list of "must haves" that require a grocery store, hardware, marine and a drug store. Some of the items on the list are for the endless projects required to fix and maintain the boat. The cruising life is not one long vacation. Yet there are an unlimited number of fun activities. Like I have been told by many cruising friends cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places with limited resources.

Fun things planned include sight seeing the island by a tram that circles the island. What they call trams is really a small bus. It was decided this tour would be a good idea because we could get an idea of what we want to see. The cost is $1.25....no transfers.

Will let you know what we decided on.

May 24, 2010

The tram ride did not last long. We saw enough of the back streets... besides a big city is still a big city even if you are in paradise. We got off in the cruise ship area to explore the main shopping district of Nassau. The picture of me standing by the big orange statue is right at the edge of the cruise ship building.

Food is a big part of the culture, and conch is king here. It is close to eating a large clam...so we tried the conch fritters. Not bad considering we paid $3.00 for six fried dough balls. The conch was ground up and not very flavorful.

Moving on to the stores....lets see....there were the t-shirts.... Check got a Nassau shirt. The jewelry stores were tempting...did not get jewels.....

Back to exploring....


Comments
Vessel Name: Empress
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 422
Crew: Captain & her crew
About: We have over 70 years combined boating experience. Our training is a combination of the United States Sail & Power Squadron and the school of G.O.& D. (Get out and do).
Extra:
The boat name has the astrological correspondence of Venus. (What else with a female captain!?) As a Taro card the keywords are: creative, intellect, good fortune, love of life. She signifies life, and a connection to earths natural rhythms. Remember if your are gentle, patient & caring you reap [...]

Skipper Shirl's Adventures

Who: Captain & her crew