Skipper Shirl's Adventure

10 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
08 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
03 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
27 November 2014
14 November 2014 | Eau Gallle, Fl
13 November 2014 | Melbourn, Fl
11 October 2014 | Key West
10 September 2014 | West Haven Ct
06 September 2014 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 June 2014 | Turks and Caicos
01 June 2014 | Atlantic
31 May 2014 | Miami Fl
08 February 2014 | Marathon Airport
01 January 2014 | Bethany, Ct
31 December 2013 | Brattlevile , VT
21 December 2013 | Connecticut
15 December 2013 | Marthon, Fl
14 December 2013 | Marathon , Fl
28 November 2013 | Seven Mile Grill, Marathon, Fl
27 November 2013 | Big Pine Key

Update / News

26 June 2010 | Coco Plum Y.C. Marathon, Fl
Shirl/Very hot
I am working on my boat getting her ready to travel. Have done numerous big projects and still have more to go. Work is often put aside for the trip to the reef to snorkel or just swim. They call it the keys disease, just an excuse to enjoy the area and put off work.

Went to the Bahamas and Bimini during the end of May and first part of June. Had a great time. The water was more blue than I have ever seen. It is even more blue than the keys... (See other postings)
The oil spill is not a concern here... why worry... be happy. The news makes it seem worse.
Have made many friends here and the social life is very active. It helps that I am the only single female in the group of 50 slips. This marina is like communal living... we all share and help each other out. You have to be good to your neighbor when they are 5 feet away.
I am no longer working the charter boat in Key Largo. Went to some great places on that boat. Visited the Dry Togas, spent weeks at a time in Key West, Everglade city was fun along with Shark river. Have swam with the Dolphins and enjoyed the sea turtles. Numerous sunsets and expanses of beautiful blue water.

Sure miss the Sherman ice cream shop. Believe it or not the closest ice cream shop is 50 miles from where I live in the keys. Oh, I am not suffering, there is ice cream in the local stores... just not someplace to go in the evenings. It seems the Tiki huts type bars are the place to go and watch the sun set... watch for the green flash.
I have given up drinking, too many calories and it gets expensive on the retirement money. It seems like this area is very focused on drinking. The saying is " a nice fishing town with a drinking problem... or was that a drinking town with fishing problem?
I am happy and there always seems like there is something to do. Have developed a napping habit....learned that from the local people. There attitude toward the heat is...get it done early in the day or wait until tomorrow. It goes with the saying only mad dogs go out in the mid day sun. If you want a laundry or a grocery store that is not busy just go during the heat of the day.
Life is good and I am adjusting to the boat life.
Comments
Vessel Name: Empress
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 422
Crew: Captain & her crew
About: We have over 70 years combined boating experience. Our training is a combination of the United States Sail & Power Squadron and the school of G.O.& D. (Get out and do).
Extra:
The boat name has the astrological correspondence of Venus. (What else with a female captain!?) As a Taro card the keywords are: creative, intellect, good fortune, love of life. She signifies life, and a connection to earths natural rhythms. Remember if your are gentle, patient & caring you reap [...]

Skipper Shirl's Adventures

Who: Captain & her crew