Skipper Shirl's Adventure

10 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
08 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
03 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
27 November 2014
14 November 2014 | Eau Gallle, Fl
13 November 2014 | Melbourn, Fl
11 October 2014 | Key West
10 September 2014 | West Haven Ct
06 September 2014 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 June 2014 | Turks and Caicos
01 June 2014 | Atlantic
31 May 2014 | Miami Fl
08 February 2014 | Marathon Airport
01 January 2014 | Bethany, Ct
31 December 2013 | Brattlevile , VT
21 December 2013 | Connecticut
15 December 2013 | Marthon, Fl
14 December 2013 | Marathon , Fl
28 November 2013 | Seven Mile Grill, Marathon, Fl
27 November 2013 | Big Pine Key

Lighthouse Museum

10 October 2010 | Key West
Shirl/ wonderful
Had an opportunity to visit this great light house museum. Here is some history that you should enjoy.

History:
The Key West Lighthouse and Keeper's Quarters Museum was built in 1847 to aid to ships navigating dangerous reefs off the lower Keys, the Key West Lighthouse now stands sentinel over one of Florida's finest historical sites.

The tower was originally 46 feet high and powered by 15 oil lamps with 15-inch reflectors, but was extended to 86 feet in 1894.It is set up so inside visitors can now climb 88 iron steps to the observation deck with spectacular views of the city of Key West and the ocean.

The tower and nearby Keeper's Quarters have been faithfully restored and maintained as they were before the lighthouse was deactivated in 1969. Many of the historic elements remain, including the pipes used to deliver acetylene gas that powered the light before it was electrified in 1927. The clapboard bungalow where the keepers and their families lived while maintaining the beacon has been recreated in turn-of-the-century style with historic furniture, furnishings and photos that provide a sense of life in Key West during that formative time.

This light station was built after the hurricane of 1846 destroyed the original 1825 tower on the coast. It is the 15th oldest surviving lighthouse in the country.

But as intriguing as the structures themselves are the lives of the keepers who climbed the steps each day to clean and fuel the lamps, especially that of Barbara Mabrity, who took over after her husband died in 1832. She tended the lamps for the 32 years until at age 82 she was fired for making statements against the Union, which controlled Key West and the lighthouse during the Civil War. When a hurricane destroyed the light station in 1846, Barbara Mabrity survived but six of her children were killed after the family sought shelter in the tower.

In 1886 the original keeper's dwelling was torn down and replaced with the present building. After its deactivation, the Lighthouse was acquired by Monroe County. In 1972 it was leased to the Key West Art & Historical Society, which added safety features and opened it to the public in 1989. The keeper's quarters were renovated in 1990 and opened as a museum.

In 1998 the lighthouse was nominated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark, which would put it in the same category as the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.

The Key West Lighthouse and Keeper's Quarters Museum,
938 Whitehead Street, Key West, Florida 33040
Open daily from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Closed Christmas Day
Admission is $10 for adults
$9 for Seniors (62+), AAA Travelers and Locals with ID
Call 305-295-6616 Ext. 16 for information.
Comments
Vessel Name: Empress
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 422
Crew: Captain & her crew
About: We have over 70 years combined boating experience. Our training is a combination of the United States Sail & Power Squadron and the school of G.O.& D. (Get out and do).
Extra:
The boat name has the astrological correspondence of Venus. (What else with a female captain!?) As a Taro card the keywords are: creative, intellect, good fortune, love of life. She signifies life, and a connection to earths natural rhythms. Remember if your are gentle, patient & caring you reap [...]

Skipper Shirl's Adventures

Who: Captain & her crew