Skipper Shirl's Adventure

10 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
08 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
03 December 2014 | New Haven, Ct
27 November 2014
14 November 2014 | Eau Gallle, Fl
13 November 2014 | Melbourn, Fl
11 October 2014 | Key West
10 September 2014 | West Haven Ct
06 September 2014 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 June 2014 | Turks and Caicos
01 June 2014 | Atlantic
31 May 2014 | Miami Fl
08 February 2014 | Marathon Airport
01 January 2014 | Bethany, Ct
31 December 2013 | Brattlevile , VT
21 December 2013 | Connecticut
15 December 2013 | Marthon, Fl
14 December 2013 | Marathon , Fl
28 November 2013 | Seven Mile Grill, Marathon, Fl
27 November 2013 | Big Pine Key

Found this article

16 August 2009 | Tavernier, Florida
Unknown/Hot
This is a great place to go if you want to get a feel for Florida nature. Set in Key Largo area , on the bayside, the Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center will give you an up-close encounter with some of the common birds that inhabit the Keys. Even though it's set right on Highway One (Overseas Highway), the main drag through all the Keys, it somehow seems off the beaten path and you leave the Center feeling like you've discovered something hidden.

As you wind your way on rustic boardwalks through the lush tree environment you can get close to the hundreds of birds who call this mini-forest habitat home. Turns out Pelicans don't fare well around fishing activities, so they end up here, where they can nurse their broken wings without fear of starving or being eaten by a predator. For this reason, you'll see a lot of Pelicans at the Wild Bird Rehab Center. You'll actually see a lot of Pelicans, period, in the Keys, so the population mix here at the Center kind of mirrors the real world.

Aside from the various forms of injured and otherwise not injured but just curious Pelicans, you'll find ospreys, herons, the occasional owl, and, if you venture all the way down one particular path, a whole gaggle of raccoons! Be warned about the Raccoon path, however: raccoons are very curious animals, which results in lots of nose/face injuries for these otherwise cute critters, so you might see one or two unfortunate victims down there.

You can learn about the birds of the Keys by reading the small plaques scattered along the boardwalk. There are small plaques everywhere, attesting to the hundreds of people (thousands?) that contribute to and appreciate the work done by the people who run the Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center. There is so much to look at, so much to absorb here, that it's worth a visit no matter how short your visit may be.

The winding pathways end up at the water, which has gorgeous views of Florida Bay, and is one of the few places where the public can go to get a feel for the Keys the way they were before they were developed. That is, dense foliage all along the beach, and lots of craggy roots and sticks and beautiful large-leafed short trees that make for beautiful photo ops, especially in the late afternoon or towards sunset, which occurs over the bayside. This is just a beautiful part of the Key Largo area, away from the rush of everything, in its natural state, surrounded by hundreds of birds.



Comments
Vessel Name: Empress
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 422
Crew: Captain & her crew
About: We have over 70 years combined boating experience. Our training is a combination of the United States Sail & Power Squadron and the school of G.O.& D. (Get out and do).
Extra:
The boat name has the astrological correspondence of Venus. (What else with a female captain!?) As a Taro card the keywords are: creative, intellect, good fortune, love of life. She signifies life, and a connection to earths natural rhythms. Remember if your are gentle, patient & caring you reap [...]

Skipper Shirl's Adventures

Who: Captain & her crew