Endless Summer

Endless Summer is a 43ft Ian Farrier cruising catamaran.

12 March 2012 | Helen Reef
12 March 2012 | Helen Reef
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
15 November 2011
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guine
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kamatal Island, Louisiades, PNG
30 July 2011 | Kamatal Island, Louisiades, PNG
29 July 2011 | 10 56'S:152 42'E, Louisiade Achipelago
28 July 2011 | Panasia Island, Louisiades, PNG

Parked on the side of the road

26 May 2010 | 16 miles off Raroia, Tuamotus
Steve
Looking into the wind, I can see faint orange lights. A few rain drops were falling, but now they're gone. The brilliant moon illuminating the ocean, sky, and clouds in a silvery white light is momentarily blocked by a towering thunder head lumbering silently past. I am drinking a freshly brewed mug of Pete's coffee. A batch thick and black enough to make my dad proud. It seems to me to be the most peculiar place to be. Parked on the side of the worlds widest highway.

On the ocean you can pretty much just pull over and park anywhere. Manjula woke me at about 1:30 AM to let me know we had arrived at our way point. We had marked our chart with a position about 10 miles off of an island which lay just east of Raroia. We didn't want to risk going any closer to the dangerous low lying reefs of the Tuamotu islands at night. The wind had been increasing all night on both of our watches and with it the seas had become fairly choppy. We reduced the amount of sail we had up trying to slow down, but with the amount and angle of the wind, Endless Summer was in a mood to go fast. So we arrived a bit early and didn't want to continue the last 16 miles to the reef pass until daylight.

So we decided to heave to. Heaving to is a sailing technique that allows the boat to point into the wind and tend to herself. Each boat does it differently. For Endless Summer we take in the head sail, and center the main sail and then just point her into the wind. She will just stay there sliding slowly sideways at about 1 knot per hour. Parked.

It is fairly windy, but hove to, Endless Summer is very comfortable. I am sitting in the cockpit, "the back porch", in a directors chair just watching the ocean and clouds drinking coffee and waiting for daylight. Not something you do every night, but I recommend it once in a while.

In the morning we will negotiate our first reef pass. Manjula will again stand on the cabin top pointing the way through the deeper water as we try to avoid driving onto anything hard and pointy. When we arrive at the pass we will be looking for signs that the tide has stopped flowing out. That is our cue that the current will be slacking and we can enter the lagoon of our first Tuamotu atoll. Roroia.
Comments
Vessel Name: Endless Summer
Vessel Make/Model: F-41 sailing catamaran
Hailing Port: San Francisco, California
Crew: Steve May and Manjula Dean
About:
Over the last three years we have sailed nearly 17,000 miles. We departed from San Francisco, California, and have cruised in Mexico, across the Pacific Ocean through Polynesia, Melanesia, Australia, and Micronesia. [...]
Extra:
I have always had a deep love for the sea and the creatures that live in and around it. Having the opportunity to spend so many months on the ocean, and the shores of so many remote islands, has given me an up close look at some of the world’s most remote wildlife outposts. This experience has [...]
Endless Summer's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 8 of 8
1
Jonathan eyeballs the problem
Mickey is feeling a little overwhelmed at all the work putting the lines back together after pulling the mast.
The sails are stripped off, the boom is laying on the cabin top, and the lines are all loosened. Also the wiring harness has been cut to allow the mast to be raised.
Suki takes up her position inside the cabin while we are underway.
San Francisco from south of the Bay Bridge on a rare warm sunny day.
The ride home from the double handed Farallones Race
Manjula driving. She looks like the red barron with her scarf flying in the 30 knot breeze. The boat was surfing to the high teens with one surf to 20 knots.
Suki takes in the view of the coast guard station on Yerba Buena Island in San Francisco Bay.
 
1
Favorite photos of Australia
23 Photos
Created 28 May 2011
2nd half of the South Pacific crossing
220 Photos
Created 25 November 2010
Photos from our passage from LA, California to the Marquesas
50 Photos
Created 26 April 2010