S/V Endorfin

"Fulfilling our dreams, one ocean at a time"

05 February 2014 | Nicaragua
02 February 2014
01 February 2014
28 January 2014 | Barillas, El Salvador
19 January 2014 | Chiapas, Mexico
18 May 2011 | Bahia Aqua Verde - BCS
11 May 2011 | San Evaristo Anchorage - May 11-14
10 May 2011 | Isla San Francisco to San Evaristo
08 May 2011 | Ensenada Grande to Isla San Francisco
05 May 2011 | Isla Partida - Cardonal and Ensenada Grande
22 April 2011 | La Paz, BCS
21 April 2011 | La Paz, BCS
18 April 2011 | Mainland, BCS
16 April 2011 | Isla Isabella to Los Muertos
16 April 2011 | Mantachen Bay to Isla Isabella

4 months in Banderas Bay

04 April 2011 | Nuevo Vallarta and La Cruz, Mexico
Lisa -Photos - see albums: Life in Vallarta, Life in La Cruz, Savannah’s Birthday, Sayulita Adventure)
I think that Blog posts are suppose to be short, daily entries, BUT, I've been too busy for the last 4 months doing NOTHING. So, here is the last 4 months into 1 BIG blog entry.

It's 1:15 am - yes, in the morning - can't sleep.....
There are too many things to think about as we get ready to move north into the Sea of Cortez for the summer. So, no better time to peck away at the keyboard. Did I mention it is after 1 in the morning?

We've enjoyed almost 4 months in Bahia de las Banderas, where we have mostly just been learning to live 'manana' style.
The days here really just blend together. Today is much like yesterday. And tomorrow will be much like today. It's been quite some time since my last blog posting... there is not much to post about on a regular basis. Well, so I thought ... but, looking back, it's been such a memorable stay in the Vallarta area, I have decided there is lots to ramble on about. Surprise, surprise - Lisa rambling on... who knew !!

So, where to begin ????

How about the day we arrived? Which, seems like an eternity ago - and honestly, I feel like a different person than the one that walked into the Port Captain's office back in december to check into Paradise Marina. As we prepare to make our trip back to the port captains office to check out, many wonderful experiences and memorable moments are fresh in my mind as I contemplate writing this blog.

I'm sure it was our first day on the dock at Paradise when we spotted the 'nappies' (that's diapers for those that don't speak Australian) hanging from the lifelines on S/V Sonrisa. I said to Dan "look, it's a 'kid' boat." We met Nick, Melissa and Benjamin (4 1/2) and Huon (14 months). It didn't take us long to until we were planning play dates and happy hours with the amazing family from Tasmania. We built dozen's of sand castles on the beach together, enjoyed cold cervezas on the bow, swapped toys and story books, released baby turtles to the ocean, and even survived several crazy nights at the infamous Fajita Republic Restaurant.

As we settled into the daily rhythm of life at Paradise Village Marina, we realized just how much of a paradise it really is. Most important, it provided a tranquil place for Dan to do some much needed decompressing -and not the kind that is done after too long of a dive - Dan needed to decompress from LA traffic, customers, and the stress of getting things ready to cut the dock lines.
The decompressing didn't take as long as either of us figured, and now Dan has days when the biggest decision he has to make is whether to have a Corona or a Pacifico. He mostly chooses a Pacifico!

Meeting our dock neighbors was instantaneous ! Big E (that's my Dad, or 'Pa' to Savannah) was celebrating his birthday. So, a surprise party was a perfect way to honor his special day - all the neighbors and their neighbors filled the salon area of the boat for the big 'SURPRISE' - it was only after this, we all introduced ourselves and enjoyed the fiesta on the bow.
Before setting out on this adventure, we had only read about the good nature and super-friendly attitudes of fellow cruisers. After meeting Patty & Steve, Linda & Dennis, Geoff & Omar, Thea & Randy, Jenny & T.G, Dorothee & Rudy, Charlotte & Rod, Melissa & Nick, we can say that we are truly very lucky and fortunate to have made friends with such fun and sincere people.

Settling into a relaxed routine takes only a few days. The afternoons are spent playing at the kids pool where Savannah and Benjamin take to splashing complete strangers. The beach provides hours of entertainment making sand castles and splashing in the waves.

Melissa invites us for New Years Eve - we enjoy fish, veggies, potatoes and wine. The kids do crafts and make beautiful hanging decorations. We are asleep before midnight when the fireworks rouse me from a deep slumber. After all day at the beach and pool, it's easy to return quickly to my 'sweet dreams'.
Happy New Year - Feliz Ano Nuevo - 2011.

Shortly after arriving in Vallarta, it was obvious to everyone that Big E and Janice would return next year for 4- 5 months. He loved Mexico !! But as we all know, to live in Mexico, one should really speak the language. Yo hablo espanol - right?!! A spanish teacher was needed, and Adriana was hired! Savannah and Pa would have spanish lessons every day in the cockpit and then the next morning, Savannah would wake up and quiz her 'Pa' . They have both progressed nicely and are still practicing colors, numbers and phrases.

For Adriana's birthday, we took a trip to her favorite hang out in Puerto Vallarta. We shared beers and margaritas at the 'Cheeky Monkey'. After our thirsts were quenched, we wandered along the malecon with tons of other tourists and families. Before heading back to the marina, we had to taste the fresh made gelato and watch the local entertainers on the waterfront.

Before we knew it, February had arrived and it was time for Savannah's 5th birthday. A wet and wild day at the water park seemed like the perfect place to celebrate. All of us (Adriana, Melissa, Pa, Dan, Lisa, Savannah and Benjamin) piled into Adriana's tiny yellow car (meant for 4) and off we went! Slides, pools, tubes and a lazy river kept us cool and refreshed all day. A smiling mesero served cold cervezas and icy margaritas to the big kids, while the little kids enjoyed juice boxes and birthday treats. Back on the boat, Savannah's Ariel cake was waiting in the ice chest along with cold watermelon for everyone. The party finished with presents and a happy 5 year-old Savannah. OK, Mommy and Daddy were happy too.

Janice (MeMe to Savannah) arrived in February after enduring one snowstorm after another. She was happy to put her toes into the warm sand on the beach at Paradise. MeMe arrived with a care package full of 'Canadian' goodies....... cream of wheat, my favorite morning tea, new markers for Savannah, and of course, real Canadian maple syrup for our pancakes! We spent the next 3 weeks enjoying the luxuries of their condo at Grand Marina Villas.

Crocodiles! yes, there are crocs in the marina! And on lazy days, we would take the dingy up the river for a 'jungle tour'. We explored the shallow muddy river, looking for iguanas, birds, and crocodiles. The lower branches of the mangroves provided hiding places for the man-eating reptiles. Well, we didn't actually see any that would be considered 'man-eating' - just a few cute baby crocs. None the less, we saw crocs!

Back in California, Lavonne is busy tracking down all the items in my 'scavenger hunt' list. She manages to find everything before departure day and arrives at Paradise fully loaded. We were all very excited to meet Art, Jenny, Alden and Lavonne as they stepped out of the airport taxi. Soon, we were enjoying a happy hour on Endorfin and catching up on news from home. It took some time to unpack and put away all the 'treasures' that Vonnie and Jenny had packed for us. They found everything on our list, plus a few more fabulous keepsakes. Thank you sweet Artis Family for a great visit ....our 4 days together passed way to fast and was just not long enough. Wishing you and EB were here with us.

Every year in March, monohulls and catamarans of all different lengths arrive to the Vallarta area to participate in the Annual Banderas Bay Regatta. We not only had the pleasure to see some of these fantastic race boats, but we enjoyed a few interesting volunteer opportunities helping out with ticket & t-shirt sales, fund-raisers, and greeting captains & crew at the skippers meeting. Thank you Jenny, for asking us to volunteer. We were able to meet so many interesting people and enjoy the regatta from a different perspective.

Sayulita is only a 30 minute bus ride from La Cruz, but a world away. Surfers and hippies flock to this seaside village for waves, homebaked bread, horseback riding, and a taste of real mexico. We spent a day exploring this quaint village, wishing we could stay a lifetime.

Exploring La Cruz for a couple of weeks was a nice diversion from the 'southern californian' way of life in Vallarta. Thursday nights, you can bring your re-usable grocery sacks and do some shopping at 'the warehouse' for the best fruits and veggies in the state. At the sunday farmers market you can find anything from fresh ground organic peanut butter to locally hand crafted baskets. We enjoyed the organic arugula, sprouted wheat crackers and home baked quiche, and for 10 pesos, Savannah enjoyed time on the 'jumpie' trampoline with other little ones. Dan simply liked to wait on the curb with a cold cerverza from the corner ' mini-super'. In this village, one can find a taco stand on every second corner, but we preferred devouring the yummiest ones served up at 'tacos in the street'. After Dan insisted that the pancakes at Huancaxtle Cafe were the best he had ever tasted, the girls in the kitchen gave me a quick lesson on how to make these scrumptious breakfast treats. In the evenings, you can just smile and greet the locals as you stroll along the cobblestone streets in this sleepy mexican village.

La Cruz Kids Club provided some much needed 'kid time' for Savannah. Tammy led an interesting kids yoga for our first session. Matero and Shandro from 'Kenta Anea' taught her how to play soccer. Barbara from 'Watcha Gonna Do' showed all the kids how to make challah bread. Kara and Pari both had 'razor' scooters and Savannah quickly decided that she HAD to have one. We couldn't just run out to Target, but luck was on our side when Allison and Merle spotted one at a local yard sale.

But it was time to go.... It was time to say 'see ya later'...

It is with mixed feelings that we head out of the anchorage...

We are excited to see Josie, to dive, to see the familiar and very dear to my heart community of La Paz, to enjoy the 'papas rellanas' at Rancho Viejo Taco stand, homemade banana ice cream at La Fuente, the hammerheads at El Bajo, and the many familiar faces of my Baja Expedition diving days (daze!)

Our heart strings are pulled a bit as we circle the boats and wave farewell.
We have met wonderful cruising families and created unique bonds.
We are hopeful to see our new friends again and again - and to eventually call them 'old' friends. Cruising is about the places & the people - the ones that stick to our hearts and make us smile.

(Photos - see albums: Life in Vallarta, Life in La Cruz, Savannah's Birthday, Sayulita Adventure)

Comments
Vessel Name: Endorfin
Vessel Make/Model: 55' Bruce Roberts (built by Jomar)
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Dan Olsen, Lisa Olsen, Savannah Olsen (8)
Extra: "Fulfilling our dreams one ocean at a time"
Home Page: www.tropicalcruiser.com

The Olsen's

Who: Dan Olsen, Lisa Olsen, Savannah Olsen (8)
Port: Channel Islands, California