S/V Endorfin

"Fulfilling our dreams, one ocean at a time"

05 February 2014 | Nicaragua
02 February 2014
01 February 2014
28 January 2014 | Barillas, El Salvador
19 January 2014 | Chiapas, Mexico
18 May 2011 | Bahia Aqua Verde - BCS
11 May 2011 | San Evaristo Anchorage - May 11-14
10 May 2011 | Isla San Francisco to San Evaristo
08 May 2011 | Ensenada Grande to Isla San Francisco
05 May 2011 | Isla Partida - Cardonal and Ensenada Grande
22 April 2011 | La Paz, BCS
21 April 2011 | La Paz, BCS
18 April 2011 | Mainland, BCS
16 April 2011 | Isla Isabella to Los Muertos
16 April 2011 | Mantachen Bay to Isla Isabella

A week on a mooring ball in Marina Barillas

28 January 2014 | Barillas, El Salvador
Lisa
Our week at Barillas just flew by.
The adventure and relaxation that we all needed began with a Monkey Walk in the nearby jungle. We met up with Angel Jimenez, who lives close to the family of spider monkeys. As we approach the trees where they live, Angel calls out “Pancho! Pancho”, and suddenly we are surrounded by 6-8 cute little monkeys, all reaching for the bananas that Angel has brought with him. We are allowed to feed them too and Savannah giggles as the mother with baby pulls her hand down to steal the sweet treat. Jen (s/v Eternal Bliss), on the other hand, has an entirely different experience as the little guy in the tree above her decides it’s time to pee !!

It’s a lazy pace at Barillas. We start each day with a bit of school work and perhaps a small boat project. As the heat increases, our speed decreases, and so the afternoons are spent in the pool sipping cold cervezas or whipped frozen coconut smoothies (BTW, my new favorite drink!)

The complimentary, air-conditioned van takes a group of us to the town of ‘Usulutan’ to re-provision our perishables. It’s a bumpy, but interesting, 45 minute ride to town as we pass thru sugar cane fields and make our way to the paved highway. The open-air markets and ‘rabbit’ grocery have more than we need and the vendors are very friendly and happy to chat as Kim and I practice our Spanish.
It’s lunchtime and shopping has given us an appetite. The market stalls where ‘pupusas’ are being made are small and hot, but we are anxious to try El Salvador’s traditional dish made of rice masa with beans and cheese. Yummy and cheap!
Cold beers are passed around the van and we share ‘market’ stories during the ride back to the estuary.

Laundry services are available and propane bottles get filled. We are never really sure what day it is, but know we need to think about our next port of call. Check-out procedures begin with an informal gathering (in bathing suits) under a palapa by the pool. Port Authority has agreed to give us our international ‘zarpe’ (exit papers to be given to the next country) a day early. This means that we only need to check out with immigration on Tuesday morning. A lancha (dingy) is sent for us at 5am and the immigration officer is happily waiting for us. The exit papers are quickly completed and passports are stamped. It’s amazing how well we are all functioning at such an early hour ☺. Walter is waiting to guide up the estuary, thru the opening in the sand bar, and back to the ocean.

The staff at Marina Barillas and the people of El Salvador have shown us incredible kindness and hospitality. It is a ‘must stop’ for anyone traveling in this area.

Next stop: Punta Ampala anchorage for a quick overnight stop – then on to Isla Meanguera (in la Bahia de Fonseca) for a day of snorkeling and boat bottom inspections.
Comments
Vessel Name: Endorfin
Vessel Make/Model: 55' Bruce Roberts (built by Jomar)
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Dan Olsen, Lisa Olsen, Savannah Olsen (8)
Extra: "Fulfilling our dreams one ocean at a time"
Home Page: www.tropicalcruiser.com

The Olsen's

Who: Dan Olsen, Lisa Olsen, Savannah Olsen (8)
Port: Channel Islands, California