S/V Endorfin

"Fulfilling our dreams, one ocean at a time"

05 February 2014 | Nicaragua
02 February 2014
01 February 2014
28 January 2014 | Barillas, El Salvador
19 January 2014 | Chiapas, Mexico
18 May 2011 | Bahia Aqua Verde - BCS
11 May 2011 | San Evaristo Anchorage - May 11-14
10 May 2011 | Isla San Francisco to San Evaristo
08 May 2011 | Ensenada Grande to Isla San Francisco
05 May 2011 | Isla Partida - Cardonal and Ensenada Grande
22 April 2011 | La Paz, BCS
21 April 2011 | La Paz, BCS
18 April 2011 | Mainland, BCS
16 April 2011 | Isla Isabella to Los Muertos
16 April 2011 | Mantachen Bay to Isla Isabella

Puesta del Sol to San Juan del Sur

05 February 2014 | Nicaragua
Lisa
Sun Feb 2
Puesta del Sol to San Juan del Sur

Our next passage from Marina Puesta del Sol to San Juan del Sur will take approx 21 hours. To avoid running aground on the sandbar as we exit the estuary, we depart at 3:30pm when the tide is high. The outgoing tidal current is 'rippin', and we need to use extra RPM's to navigate thru the channel markers and make our way out to the ocean.
While in town, I was lucky and discovered fresh basil at the grocery store - so dinner tonight is simple and yummy. The fresh basil, olive oil, and tomatoes on pasta fill our bellies and we settle into our night-watch routines. By 9:30 we are past the fishing fleet at Puerto Sandino and the sky has filled with millions of stars. We have flat seas and 16 knots of wind.
9:40 pm -The dolphins come to play with Endorfin - and, for a split second, I am startled by their arrival. They are glowing with phosphorescence and come darting towards the boat. Amazing !!

The wind has increased by the time I come up on deck at 6am. Even thought the forecast predicted the 'papagayo winds' to blow 15-20 knots per hour, we are heeling over in 30 knot gusts. Our small main and storm jib are plenty of sail in this wind. But, at 11:30 in a gust of 32 knots, we blew the clew out of our main sail. The stitching has finally given out after too many years in the sun. As Capt Ron says ... 'if it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there'.
We will have to wait for a calm day to make the repairs. Until then, we continue south with only our headsails.

By 12:30 pm we are anchored in the famous surfing hangout of San Juan del Sur and looking up at the giant statue of 'The Christ of the Mercy' on the northern end of the bay. Only moments after calling the Port Captain on the VHF radio, the friendly officials have arrived at Endorfin. I offer something cold to drink and give them our documents. Our paperwork is in order, but we still need to visit the immigration office. Since the wind is still cranking and gusting to 25 knots, Dan decides to stay on the boat while Kim and I head in to town with the water taxi.

'San Juan del Sur'
It's a quaint place and a surfer's paradise.
But for Savannah, it's a chance to play with another 'cruising kid'. We spot s/v Eoni as soon as we pull into the anchorage and hope that Ethan, Nancy and Zada are not on a week-long land tour. We first met this lovely cruising family in the Sea of Cortez in 2011. Later that night while sitting in the cockpit, I look up to see them zooming along in their dingy. I yell and wave to get their attention. They are as happy as we are to meet up again - seems that their 8 yr-old Zada has been 'kid starved' for over a month.
The next two days, Savannah and Zada play happily on each other's boats and enjoy some beach time with icecream!! Before departing, Savannah receives three brand new 'Littlest Petshops' from Zada for her birthday. I am happy to have found 'Pan de Vida' (Bread of Life) and stock up on hearth-baked multigrain! SO good!! The other memorable moment for us was meeting a baby spider monkey. It was being cared for by this eclectic lady from Beverly Hills (gone rogue and now living in Nicaragua)who helps the little cuties if their parents have been killed. Such a beautiful little creature and full of love as it cuddled with Savannah.

We are anxious to move on from this windy anchorage and south to Costa Rica. Clearing out at the Port Captain's office is simple - I complete a bit of paperwork and we are issued our 'internation zarpe'.
Carlos takes us on our last water taxi ride back to the boats. Within minutes, provisions are stowed and I hear the anchor chain clattering as the windlass lifts our trusty CQR.
Comments
Vessel Name: Endorfin
Vessel Make/Model: 55' Bruce Roberts (built by Jomar)
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Dan Olsen, Lisa Olsen, Savannah Olsen (8)
Extra: "Fulfilling our dreams one ocean at a time"
Home Page: www.tropicalcruiser.com

The Olsen's

Who: Dan Olsen, Lisa Olsen, Savannah Olsen (8)
Port: Channel Islands, California