S/Y Espumeru

11 March 2011 | Gold coast, QLD, Australia
06 March 2011 | Gold Coast, Queensland
14 December 2010 | Coral sea and the north
08 October 2010 | Raiatea, French Polynesia
08 September 2010 | Tahiti
31 August 2010 | Tahiti
28 August 2010 | Fatu Hiva
22 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
19 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
15 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
13 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
06 August 2010
06 August 2010
02 August 2010
30 July 2010 | Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Galapagos
07 July 2010 | Ecuador, north coast, Sua
22 June 2010 | Panama City, Panama

Pacific crossing day 5

06 August 2010
MF
The past days have been quite peaceful, the winds have still been light and we are pogressing with snail speed, doing only a little bit more than 100Nm per day. The weather conditions have become much more pleasant though, we now have clear sunny skies and it is much warmer, at least in the sun. The water temperature is also on the rise with about 26 degrees, soon it is actually swimmable. Sun is like medicine for me, it warms me up and enables my bones and muscles to move, I feel like one of the marine iguanas from Galapagos who lie and soak up the sunshine after a long dive in the chilly waters have made them stiff. It is not only me, the over all mood on the boat is definately higher and everyone smiles easier since the skies cleared.

Yesterday afternoon while we were having another excellent meal, tuna bake but unfortunately not from a freshly caught fish, we spotted two enormous whales swimming quite close to us, unfortunately we were not able the recognise their exact species but they were huge, at least the size of our boat if not larger. That was a special treat and the boys were exhilarated, they just love whale watching. When the sun set that same evening the stars came out, breathtaking, so many lights in the sky, one brighter than the other. You could see the whole milky way and so many constellation that I barely recognised. We all had our chance to wish upon a star since there were numerous shooting stars. We also celebrated the completion of our first 500Nm towards the end way point, that is the Marquesas, with a few glasses of wine.

Today we have been doing loads of school work and the Captain has been concentrating on catching fish, to no prevail though, the fish are not biting our lures for some reason, maybe Neptune does not like the rum we are offering him. we will have to try a stronger variant. We have plenty of time still so I am sure our fishing luck will change.

You will hear from us again in some days, regards from the South Pacific!!!

MF
Comments
Vessel Name: Espumeru
Vessel Make/Model: North Wind 40 Catamaran
Crew: Niklas
About: Max 5 years (powerboat experience since 7 months old) Knows now how to start and turn off engines lower fenders etc... Felix 3 years (copying his brother in everything...) Mira born by the sea but no sailing experience!?! Niklas lots of experience with different boats power and sailing.
Extra: None of the crew has ever sailed a catamaran!!!! Are we mad???

Who: Niklas