S/Y Espumeru

11 March 2011 | Gold coast, QLD, Australia
06 March 2011 | Gold Coast, Queensland
14 December 2010 | Coral sea and the north
08 October 2010 | Raiatea, French Polynesia
08 September 2010 | Tahiti
31 August 2010 | Tahiti
28 August 2010 | Fatu Hiva
22 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
19 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
15 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
13 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
06 August 2010
06 August 2010
02 August 2010
30 July 2010 | Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Galapagos
07 July 2010 | Ecuador, north coast, Sua
22 June 2010 | Panama City, Panama

last miles to the Marquesas

22 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
NJ
We are finally on our last miles to the Marquesas (8NM from waypoint). We will be anchoring in the southern most island of Fatu-Hiva for a few days, before sailing towards the atolls in the Tuamotus. This will probably feel quite tiering because it is an other 700NM, and now with other vessels and land to be avoided on the way! The passage has been
slower than expected due to fairly weak winds. We can already see Fatu-Hiva, lit by a very clear full moon , so in total we have been sailing for a bit under 22 days and done a bit over 3000 NM!
We started our southening straight away after leaving Galapagos, which probably costed us two days of extra sailing due to
longer distance and weaker winds (which we did not expect), the advantage though, was that it got warmer quicker!

The passage has gone pretty well with only smaller mishaps (so far....), one Sea-Me antenna breaking off from the mast-head, one broken spinnaker and one exploded exhaust pipe, and the usual problems with our watermaker that is now producing some undrinkable substance. At some stage, we will have to outhaul the boat to check on our leak, which is steadily letting water in from the rubber in the S-shaft from the engine, but if we can manage we will probably wait until Australia to do it, without any rush and without being stuck waiting for some part somewhere for weeks.

Fishing wise, we have had a Ok passage with a total of 2 Tunas, 2 Mahi Mahis and 2 Wahoos where one of the Wahoos was 20+ kg!
We have had a lot more possibilities but our equipment has not been strong enough so we have lost several lures and some 200 meters of fishing line.

The boys have been behaving really good, and they have not been complaining even once that they are bored! Max had his mid-term exams yesterday so now he will enjoy 4 days of holiday before he continues with the hard work. Felix has done 2/3 of his year during the passage, he informed yesterday before going to bed, that he was going to wake up early today to have a few hours of Maths before we arrive.

It is wiered how quick time goes on the sea, and how little one misses land and all the so called comforts. Then again, since when has it been comforting to have constant stress, surrounded by toxic fumes and miserable people rushing to trivial meetings that does not make a change anyway! At the sea one can reflect on space and time and wonder if different dimensions exist or if it is a illusion, without being exposed to either noise or light pollution. The plenitude of stars is incredible and they glow even brighter than in Lapland during winter, with the exception that the view at sea is undisturbed and 360 degrees.

In a few hours it is time to let down the anchor and start cleaning the boat from in- and outside and then head into land and explore a bit, lets hope that there is not too many people to scare us off! The Marquesas islands, and specially Fatu-Hiva, has been said to have been the last island in the Pacific with kannibalism! So, if you donĀ“t hear from us any more we became a nice meal for some polynesian family.
And then some people say that crossing oceans is dangerous????

Have a nice day,

NJ
Comments
Vessel Name: Espumeru
Vessel Make/Model: North Wind 40 Catamaran
Crew: Niklas
About: Max 5 years (powerboat experience since 7 months old) Knows now how to start and turn off engines lower fenders etc... Felix 3 years (copying his brother in everything...) Mira born by the sea but no sailing experience!?! Niklas lots of experience with different boats power and sailing.
Extra: None of the crew has ever sailed a catamaran!!!! Are we mad???

Who: Niklas