The Voyage of S/V Estelle

Cruising the British Columbia Coast

27 September 2020
26 September 2020
26 September 2020 | The Broughtons
26 September 2020 | Vancouver Rowing Club
07 February 2020
03 February 2020 | Northern Georgia Strait
30 September 2018 | Vancouver Rowing Club
10 September 2018 | The Laughing Oyster, Okeover Landing
08 September 2018 | Von Donop Inlet, Desolation Sound
08 September 2018 | Port McNeill, BC
08 September 2018 | Port McNeill, BC
16 August 2018
16 August 2018 | Turnbull Cove, BC
15 August 2018 | Pierre's Echo Bay Resort
15 August 2018 | Kwatsi Bay Marina, The Broughtons
15 August 2018 | Potts Lagoon, West Cracroft Island, BC
05 August 2018 | Kwatsi Bay
01 August 2018 | Big Bay
01 August 2018 | Von Donop Inlet
27 July 2018 | Lancelot Inlet, Desolation Sound Marine Park

Mid-coast cruising in Maine

22 September 2015 | Somes Sound, Mt Desert Island, Maine
Sunny, wind SW@12, Temp 74F
Folkboat moored off Hog Island

September 3rd, Prettymarsh Cove
In mid-morning, we had enough water to clear the bar and leave The Mud Hole. With still a couple of hours of current opposing us, we headed out and along the coast towards Northeast Harbor on Mt Desert Island.
With our course S-W and in a SSW wind, we hoisted the main and began to motorsail. But after a few minutes we decided to tack south and sail far enough offshore to lay our course. So an hour later we tacked back and enjoyed a nice afternoon sail with the current now pushing us westward. In the late afternoon light, we dropped the sails and motored in to Northeast Harbor where we picked up a mooring for the night. Ashore we stretched our legs and bought a few supplies for supper, then back aboard. In the morning we motored around to Somes Sound to the John Williams Boatyard. We stopped for the day to allow the yard to re-install our Lombardini genset, back from the supplier where it was shipped to correct the third major problem in the first year. Lets hope for better performance in future.
The stop also gave us the opportunity to use our car to re-stock with supplies.
Back aboard, we just motored up to nearby Somesville Harbor for the night.
Next morning we were off for more cruising in the beautiful late summer weather. In the morning calm we motored out the Western Way and past Bass Harbor Head and into Blue Hill Bay. Our plan was to head for Blue Hill, but with the light airs, we slowly worked our way up the bay, and were off Prettymarsh Harbor in mid-afternoon. Here we anchored, landed for a nice walk, then a short dinghy exploration trip and the day was over.

Pic
Blue Hill Bay

September 6, Pulpit Hbr.
From Prettymarsh Cove, we had another drifter and in mid-afternoon were tied up at the Kollidgwidgewaulk Yacht Club. We filled our water tanks then picked up a mooring for the night. With a late afternoon high tide we were able to dinghy in to the Blue Hill dinghy dock. It dries out at low tide and is accessible only at half-tide or more. We strolled through the town, finding yet more essential supplies, and a few non-essential, leaving the dinghy dock just as the bottom began to make its presence known.

Pic
McGlatherty's Island

Next morning we got an earlier than usual start, about 9am, to try to catch the last of the falling tide as we sailed down Blue Hill Bay. In light headwinds, we just motored, through Sand Island Passage and into Jerricho Bay. Then into Merchant Row, we rounded up and motored into the McGlatherty's Island anchorage. McGlatherty's is a favorite stop, and we headed ashore to hike the trails for a couple of hours. Lots of boats, sail, kayaks, and motorboats.

Pic
McGlatherty's Island

The picture is of the grave site of the last known inhabitants of McGlatherty's. It must have been a very bleak existence.
From McGlatherty's we headed out into East Penobscott Bay and enjoyed a nice breeze until mid-morning, when it died leaving us being swept out the bay. So we motorsailed into Fox Island Thorofare and anchored for lunch off the pretty village of North Haven. After lunch we went ashore and wandered its quiet streets for an hour.
Leaving the thoroughfare the wind returned giving us a nice brisk sail to Pulpit Harbor. Rounding up in the now 20 knots of wind, we ran in finding a dozen visitors like us, a surprise for the late season. We picked up a vacant mooring and headed for shore again.
In the breezy evening, our new Dickeson BBQ proved its worth, holding its flame in the windy harbor. Nights are now closing in early with temperatures dropping quickly, so that we are now eating dinner below most evenings, and starting the mornings with the Espar.

Pic
Our good cruising buddies Nancy & Bruce Montgomery, Bucks Hbr.


September 9, John Williams Boatyard, Somes Sound

From Pulpit Harbor, we headed out for Bucks Harbor at the top of Penobscott Bay. We set out with 2 reefs in the main as the forecast was for 25 knot southerlies. Out on the bay we found a very different picture. We quickly shook the reefs our and worked our way north between the islands in warm sunshine and a 10-15 knot breeze. By noon we were drifting off Hog Island and anchored for lunch. Its name doesn't suggest its beauty with a wide sandy beach and gently sloping shore.

Pic
Nice powerboat,moored off Hog Island

The breeze never returned so we just motored the last 5 miles to Bucks Harbor where we met with our old friends, Bruce and Nancy Montgomery. They had driven from their home near Bath to have dinner with us.
We met them ashore, wandered the deserted roads, sat on the veranda of the now deserted yacht club and talked, reminiscing about past shared adventures. We traveled with them to Jamaica, Panama and through the Western Caribbean, so had lots to talk about. The warm evening meant dinner in the cockpit, Chicken Teriyaki with fresh local vegetables and Nancy's delicious cookies with fruit for dessert. As they left, we still had lots to talk about, both past and future adventures. They will be heading south again this winter while we head to Whistler BC for a winter of family and skiing.

Pic
Wooden Boat School Dock House

Next morning we motored out into a flat calm Eggemoggin Reach, so we just motored down the reach. We decided to head into Center Harbor for lunch where we picked up a mooring and took a harbor tour in the dinghy. Center Harbor has a reputation as the wooden boat capital of the USA east coast. And it is well deserved. It is also the home of the famous Brooklyn Boatyard, formerly owned by Joel White and now run by his son, maintaining its reputation for high quality work on wooden boats. The evidence was there in the harbor as the gleaming paint and varnish sparkled in the sun.
After lunch we ran out around the Torry Islands and in to Ridley Cove, home to The Wooden Boat School. We picked up a guest mooring, dinghied ashore and walked up to the School's workshop where Jeannie's brother Fraser was taking a course in traditional dory construction. Taking a break, Fraser showed us around the School. Then we went into their very interesting store where we failed to resist the urge to purchase some very nice mementos. Then we toured the rest of the School's facilities, and headed to the boat for dinner with Fraser.
This was the last evening of our cruise, and it could not have been nicer. Another warm evening, and we sat in the cockpit watching all the activity in the harbor as three windjammers came in to anchor and small Hershoff 12-1/2's drifted among the moorings. A beautiful end to a great summer of cruising.

Pic
Wooden Boat School Anchorage

Pic
Wooden Boat School Anchorage

Pic
Wooden Boat School training boat

Pic
Wooden Boat School

Pic
Jeannie and her brother Fraser Robidoux at the Wooden Boat School

Pic
With Fraser at the Wooden Boat School workshop.

Next morning, we woke to a thick fog, and groped our way the 25 miles back to Northeast Harbor. Just as we arrived, the fog lifted, allowing us to tie up at Clifton Dock and top off the fuel tanks for winter. Then the short run around to Somes Sound, where we drifted up the Sound to the boatyard. Cruise complete.
So Estelle is now away for winter and we are spending the beautiful fall in PEI, then off to BC for the winter.
Next summer, Plan A is Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
Comments
Vessel Name: Estelle
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1
Hailing Port: Charlottetown, PEI
Crew: Jeannie & Jim Lea
About: Flag Counter
Extra: After cruising the east coast of North America for 10 years, from Nova Scotia to Panama, it's time for a change. Estelle will be cruising the coast of British Columbia and Alaska beginning in 2017.
Estelle's Photos - The Voyage of S/V Estelle (Main)
Cruise to Desolation Sound and the Broughtons, British Columbia
81 Photos
Created 26 September 2020
From Pender Harbour to Sidney, July 20-26
18 Photos
Created 4 February 2020
33 Photos
Created 2 February 2020
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2018
5 Photos
Created 1 August 2018
62 Photos
Created 10 July 2018
28 Photos
Created 19 November 2017
Our cruise of the Gulf Islands and San Juan Islands in May & June, 2017
84 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
Our first BC cruise, from Pender Harbour to Strait Marine in Steveston BC
26 Photos
Created 27 April 2017
Estelle's arrival in Vancouver
8 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
63 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
Our first year cruising... Exumas, Bahamas.
11 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
69 Photos
Created 24 July 2015
17 Photos
Created 31 May 2015
8 Photos
Created 12 April 2015
25 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
3 Photos
Created 30 November 2014
20 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
5 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
13 Photos
Created 13 November 2014
20 Photos
Created 9 November 2014
Pics of our trip from Mount Desert Islans to the Saint John River in July 2014.
64 Photos
Created 14 August 2014
15 Photos
Created 9 May 2014
60 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
18 Photos
Created 3 April 2013
50 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
104 Photos
Created 12 December 2012
40 Photos
Created 1 December 2012
23 Photos
Created 10 November 2012
19 Photos
Created 25 October 2012
14 Photos
Created 13 March 2012
47 Photos
Created 6 March 2012
59 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
70 Photos
Created 27 February 2012
107 Photos
Created 21 January 2012
Nov/Dec 2011
48 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
San Blas Islands
4 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
58 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
23 Photos
Created 29 October 2011
22 Photos
Created 26 October 2011
49 Photos
Created 10 May 2011
52 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
18 Photos
Created 18 March 2011
18 Photos
Created 18 March 2011
Feb, 2011
67 Photos
Created 11 February 2011
33 Photos
Created 7 February 2011
34 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
33 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
62 Photos
Created 17 November 2010
39 Photos
Created 15 November 2010
41 Photos
Created 31 October 2010
25 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
17 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
15 Photos
Created 3 October 2010
13 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
14 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
Some photos at John Williams Boatyard as we prepare for departure.
7 Photos
Created 14 September 2010
Our trip to various BC ski resorts Jan-Feb 2010
69 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
August/Sept in Maine
58 Photos
Created 29 August 2009
Our trip from Norfolk Va to Mount Desert Island, June 20th to July 7th, 2009. Gerard Watts aboard as crew!
89 Photos
Created 8 July 2009
11 Photos
Created 26 April 2009
65 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 22 March 2009
65 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 February 2009
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2009
42 Photos
Created 29 January 2009
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2008
27 Photos
Created 22 December 2008
Our trip from Maine to Miami
108 Photos
Created 19 December 2008
Pics from Jan to June 2008, Bahamas to Maine
50 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
Trip south from Maine to Bahamas, Sept-Dec 2007
42 Photos
Created 26 December 2007
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2007
4 Photos
Created 21 August 2007
These are pictures of The Hermitage on Cat Island, Bahamas. It was built single-handedly by Faather Jerome who was sent out by the Church of England to rebuild churches destroyed in the hurricanes in the early 20th century. He then converted to catholicism and built a number of Roman Catholic churches until he sought and received permission to build this hermitage where he spent the remainder of his life.
10 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 June 2007
1 Photo
Created 24 June 2007
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2007
3 Photos
Created 12 June 2007
These pictures were taken while on Long Island, Bahamas, in February, 2007
6 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
This album contains some photos of our time in the Jumentos Islands, in the Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
19 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
18 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
13 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 March 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
5 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
18 Photos
Created 11 March 2007