The story of Fandancer

18 February 2015 | Hampshire
21 September 2014 | Mitika
26 August 2014 | Killini
14 August 2014 | Zakynthos
14 August 2014 | Katakalon
14 August 2014 | Katakalon
21 April 2014 | Oreoi
04 April 2014 | Oreoi, Evia, Greece
12 November 2013 | Orei, island of Evia, Greece
08 October 2013 | Loutra Edipsou
04 October 2013 | Chalkida
03 October 2013 | Chalkida, Evia
01 October 2013 | Karavos, Aliveri
01 October 2013 | Lavrion
30 September 2013 | Lavrion
26 August 2013 | Greece
26 August 2013 | Leonidion Plaka
24 August 2013 | Gerakas, Pelopenese.
22 August 2013

Ermoupolis marina, Syros

07 May 2013 | Ermoupolis
George. Windy.
Marina at Ermoupolis, Syros

I'm writing this piece in case any of you fellow sailors out there try a Google search for information on the marina in Ermoupolis. Do drop me a line and let me know if you found this useful.

We have been in Syros for six months over winter, with our yacht Fandancer which is our liveaboard home. We arrived here mid October 2012 and had the boat pulled out into the very accommodating Atlas boatyard, run efficiently by Stavros with help from his son Spiros. We rented a small apartment ashore while we continued our renovation work on Fandancer, which we had sailed from Portsmouth to Greece a year previously. So I think we have got to know the island fairly well, especially the main town Ermoupolis. We chose Syros as a place to stay over winter as we knew it would be a lively town where everything we needed was available, being the capital of the Cyclades. Unlike some other places in Greece which can often become ghost towns in the winter, Ermoupolis remained a fully functioning, active and interesting place to stay.

Fandancer went back in the water on 1 May, and we headed for the marina across the harbour while we sorted ourselves out for a few days before we started our liveaboard adventures once more. Tim still had quite a few little jobs to finish on the boat, and we had a lot of things which needed stowing properly. Also, it was the weekend of Greek Easter, which we wanted to experience.

To get back to the marina....... after all, that's probably why you chose to read this blog! Apparently many places in Europe were given a huge amount of EU funds as a loan some years ago to construct marinas to attract visiting sailors who would in turn increase the economy of the town. We heard that the towns did not have to pay back any of the funds they had been loaned until the marina was up and running, with staff in place to manage it and fees charged for mooring and services. I cannot verify if this is actually true, so if anyone knows differently, please let me know. Our thinking is that as Greece is in such an appalling financial state at the moment, they have left these marinas unfinished, this avoiding repaying the marina loan. Consequently we have come across several of these marinas which appear finished, but not operational.

Ermoupolis marina has electric and water posts installed but not connected. There is an office building, a shower block and a fuel pier with petrol pump, all locked up and non-functioning. The lamp posts are rusty and broken, the trees and flower beds left to grow wild. However, if you just want somewhere to stay for a short while with no facilities, the marina is very well sheltered and quiet. If you come here for the first time, you may think it is quite a desolate out of the way place, and to some extent it is. There appears to have been several tavernas and a yacht club very close by, but these are permanently closed. There is a sometimes-open chandlers and a garage nearby. To reach the nearest shop, turn right along the main road when leaving the marina and in about 500m you will come to a very good mini-Carrefour supermarket on your right, and then a further 300m brings you to the outskirts of the town, passing two more supermarkets, bakery and fruit shops, plus two excellent well stocked chandlers. A further pleasant walk brings you to the harbour front. You can catch the free local bus from the supermarket car park right to the harbour and back again, which runs every 20 minutes in summer.

We have also stayed in the main harbour of Ermoupolis for a few days. There are water and electric posts, operated by a card system, available from some kiosks nearby. Although the harbour looks well sheltered from the prevailing northerly winds, there can be a very big swell which can make it very uncomfortable on board. Make sure your stern is not too close to the wall. Several big ferries entering and leaving also create some wash.
However, there is lots to see in the town and beyond, and the harbour-side has attractive cafes and tavernas all the way along.

We really like Ermoupolis, and Syros in general, and feel it is an 'undiscovered gem' of the Cyclades. It is not a big tourist island, and nor does it need to be. It has an amazing history and there is lots to see and do, especially if you hire a moped or car, or use the very good local bus service. Walk up to the top of Ano Syros and look at the amazing views, go to the lovely beaches at Azolimnos or Kini, or just walk through the market streets close to the harbourfront. I hope you will fall in love with Syros, like we did.
Comments
Vessel Name: Fandancer
Vessel Make/Model: Northstar 40
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Georgina and Tim Moon
About: We bought Fandancer in March 2009 with a view to living aboard permanently in the Med.
Extra:
Our fourth year of living aboard in Greece. We have overwintered in Syros, Oreoi on Evia, and this year we have been in Ionion Marine, Preveza. We will be sailing in the Ionian Sea this summer, hoping to discover some more new places to visit.... We also have a new crew member - Artemis the [...]
Home Page: georginamoon1@gmail.com
Social:
Fandancer's Photos - Main
Photos of boatlift, and the yard.
38 Photos
Created 12 November 2013
Some recent photos, July and August 2013
34 Photos
Created 26 August 2013
Our bus trip from Paroikia.
10 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
some photos taken in the last couple of weeks, October 2012
36 Photos
Created 14 October 2012
some photos of Greek shops etc. Some you may have seen before.
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
Some photos around Hydra
29 Photos
Created 13 September 2012
various random photos for your perusal ...
19 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
Some recent photos for your perusal ...
25 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
10 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
more of my favourite photos
32 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
six weeks in Corfu area, some of my favourite photos
20 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
Photos in and around Corfu, and a cat comes aboard .....
15 Photos
Created 21 June 2012
Fandancer moored at the marina in Sciacca
13 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Favignana and beyond
26 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Fandancer moored in Bonifacio for two nights
20 Photos
Created 17 May 2012
Fandancer sailing from Toulon to Corsica
30 Photos
Created 12 May 2012
Fandancer in Port St Louis, masts lifted in
21 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Ice, Pont du Gard, Les Baux
35 Photos
Created 25 February 2012
Photos from our bus trip to St Remy
28 Photos
Created 5 January 2012
Our day out in Avignon.
20 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
Lovely town of Nimes
20 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
More photos from trip down the Rhone
36 Photos
Created 4 December 2011
Some photos of Fandancer on the Rhone
32 Photos
Created 29 November 2011
Canal from St Dizier, and day out in Joinville
29 Photos
Created 11 November 2011
Out and about between Rouen and Vitry le Francois
20 Photos
Created 4 November 2011
Some pics taken in this lovely village, 27 October.
20 Photos
Created 28 October 2011
Some photos from our river trip from Paris to Epernay.
29 Photos
Created 28 October 2011
out and about in gay Paree!
19 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
George and Tim explore the city.
21 Photos
Created 7 October 2011
Maiden voyage, after 18 months out of the water!
7 Photos
Created 29 September 2011