The story of Fandancer

18 February 2015 | Hampshire
21 September 2014 | Mitika
26 August 2014 | Killini
14 August 2014 | Zakynthos
14 August 2014 | Katakalon
14 August 2014 | Katakalon
21 April 2014 | Oreoi
04 April 2014 | Oreoi, Evia, Greece
12 November 2013 | Orei, island of Evia, Greece
08 October 2013 | Loutra Edipsou
04 October 2013 | Chalkida
03 October 2013 | Chalkida, Evia
01 October 2013 | Karavos, Aliveri
01 October 2013 | Lavrion
30 September 2013 | Lavrion
26 August 2013 | Greece
26 August 2013 | Leonidion Plaka
24 August 2013 | Gerakas, Pelopenese.
22 August 2013

Killini

26 August 2014 | Killini
George. scorchio.
After a couple of days at anchor in the south of Zakynthos at the lovely bay of Keri, we moved on. With time to spare before my daughter Alice arrived at the end of the week, we headed for Killini on the Peloponnese mainland. About a five hour trip, around 24 nautical miles.
This is well out of flotilla boat territory, there is little information available on the place, and most of it is out of date. We did meet one fellow sailor on Kefalonia who mentioned it, so we thought we'd give it a try. It is known for being a major ferry terminal, with frequent vessels coming and going from Zakynthos and Kefalonia. Being fairly close to Patras, which has major ferries from Italy, Killini is a stopping point before taking another ferry to the Ionian islands.

Killini is not a terribly attractive town or inspiring place, I didn't even feel like taking any photographs. The town is very Greek, not catering for foreign tourists, although there is a large stretch of beach with umbrellas and sunloungers close by. I guess a lot of local people from the interior travel to the coast to spend the day at the beach. There were some small hotels but it is certainly not a major foreign holiday destination. The town looked a bit run down, several shops had closed and it was a bit scruffy. But as well as some tavernas, we found a couple of butchers, mini markets and bakeries.

The harbour at Killini has recently been upgraded and a considerable amount of Greek money spent on it. A smaller inner harbour has been built, giving excellent shelter. This is where the fishing boats and yachts moor. There appears to be lazy lines on part of the harbour wall, so no anchor is needed, but the lines were missing where we moored, so we laid our anchor.
Because of the ferry traffic nearby, there is excellent lighting, rubbish bins, oil disposal bins, and best of all free electricity and water on the quay! So no excuse not to do lots of washing, scrub the decks, fill the tanks, and Hoover the carpets. I also used the electric slow cooker for a delicious chicken dish.

Another excellent attribute that we bestowed upon Killini was that we had the best ouzo meze that we had come across for some time. And we are the experts on ouzo mezes. It is traditional for Greek tavernas to give you a mini snack to go with your meze, as it thought too powerful for you to consume without food. The worst case scenario is that in very touristy areas they give you a small bowl of crisps, or nothing at all, usually you even have to ask them to bring the necessary water to go with your drink, but quite often they might give you a tiny plate of small fish, or some cheese with salad, or a slice of bread topped with taramasalata, or a couple of meat balls. You never know what you are going to get! All this is delicious and very welcome, but then you find places that give you more - something that would even make a good lunch. Once we had a decent portion of gavros ( small fish), fried, with chips. Another memorable meze was a plate of meatballs cooked in tomato sauce. Sometimes they give you a mixture of lots of things, and this is what we had at a tiny taverna in Killini. An oval shaped platter appeared, loaded high with freshly cooked ingredients including spicy sausage, meatballs, courgette and aubergine slices, some delicious fried mini peppers, a few chips, cheese cubes, ham, tomato and cucumber. A real feast!

So we were pleased to find this marvellous meze to accompany our ouzo or two on our first night in Killini, and spent a very enjoyable hour or so people-watching. They were certainly very generous hand poured measures of ouzo - after adding ice, it filled the glass! On our second evening, we again returned to the same establishment only to be told that they had run out of ouzo! Shock horror! We felt a bit guilty at this point as we were obviously responsible for drinking their entire stock of this essential Greek drink the night before! How could they have run out? It's like an English pub running out of wine! No problem, the girl told us - I will make your meze and in five minutes I will get more ouzo! We heard her on the phone, talking animatedly in Greek, clearly ordering in extra supplies for the crazy English tourists.

This reminds me of the little bar in Keri where we ordered a cold lager each after a hot walk around the village. We ordered a second one soon after, as it was very thirst quenching. The waitress looked at us with indignation. "You English - you drink such a lot!", she sneered.......
Comments
Vessel Name: Fandancer
Vessel Make/Model: Northstar 40
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Georgina and Tim Moon
About: We bought Fandancer in March 2009 with a view to living aboard permanently in the Med.
Extra:
Our fourth year of living aboard in Greece. We have overwintered in Syros, Oreoi on Evia, and this year we have been in Ionion Marine, Preveza. We will be sailing in the Ionian Sea this summer, hoping to discover some more new places to visit.... We also have a new crew member - Artemis the [...]
Home Page: georginamoon1@gmail.com
Social:
Fandancer's Photos - Main
Photos of boatlift, and the yard.
38 Photos
Created 12 November 2013
Some recent photos, July and August 2013
34 Photos
Created 26 August 2013
Our bus trip from Paroikia.
10 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
some photos taken in the last couple of weeks, October 2012
36 Photos
Created 14 October 2012
some photos of Greek shops etc. Some you may have seen before.
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
Some photos around Hydra
29 Photos
Created 13 September 2012
various random photos for your perusal ...
19 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
Some recent photos for your perusal ...
25 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
10 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
more of my favourite photos
32 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
six weeks in Corfu area, some of my favourite photos
20 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
Photos in and around Corfu, and a cat comes aboard .....
15 Photos
Created 21 June 2012
Fandancer moored at the marina in Sciacca
13 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Favignana and beyond
26 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Fandancer moored in Bonifacio for two nights
20 Photos
Created 17 May 2012
Fandancer sailing from Toulon to Corsica
30 Photos
Created 12 May 2012
Fandancer in Port St Louis, masts lifted in
21 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Ice, Pont du Gard, Les Baux
35 Photos
Created 25 February 2012
Photos from our bus trip to St Remy
28 Photos
Created 5 January 2012
Our day out in Avignon.
20 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
Lovely town of Nimes
20 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
More photos from trip down the Rhone
36 Photos
Created 4 December 2011
Some photos of Fandancer on the Rhone
32 Photos
Created 29 November 2011
Canal from St Dizier, and day out in Joinville
29 Photos
Created 11 November 2011
Out and about between Rouen and Vitry le Francois
20 Photos
Created 4 November 2011
Some pics taken in this lovely village, 27 October.
20 Photos
Created 28 October 2011
Some photos from our river trip from Paris to Epernay.
29 Photos
Created 28 October 2011
out and about in gay Paree!
19 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
George and Tim explore the city.
21 Photos
Created 7 October 2011
Maiden voyage, after 18 months out of the water!
7 Photos
Created 29 September 2011