S/V Faring

17 April 2012 | Green Turtle Cay, Abacos
17 January 2012 | N 25 45.517, W80 08.768
02 January 2012 | Marathon, Florida
25 November 2011 | N29 53.527, W081 18.563
25 November 2011
25 November 2011 | N34 13.059 W77 48.800
25 November 2011 | N34 42.914 W75 39.820
25 November 2011 | N38 20.160 W76 26.107
25 November 2011 | N38 58.396 W74 50.602
25 November 2011 | N 40 32.197 W74 08.307
02 October 2011 | Point Judith, RI
26 September 2011 | Portland, Maine
05 September 2011 | Somes Harbor
26 August 2011 | Nova Scotia
15 August 2011 | Baddeck, CBI, NS
04 August 2011 | Sydney, CBI, NS
23 July 2011 | Francois, Newfoundland
16 July 2011 | Burgeo (47 36.781N, 57 36.446W)
03 July 2011 | St. Peters, Bras D'or Lake, CBI

Hello from Newfoundland

16 July 2011 | Burgeo (47 36.781N, 57 36.446W)
HB
Wednesday, July 15 2011

Hello from Newfoundland! This is a wild, barren, devoid place but it is absolutely spectacular! We have had no need for sunblock – our skin and the sun haven’t seen each other for the last few days! We’re going to try to upload some of our pictures to our Picasa account so click on the link to the right of this blog page to view them.

We’re currently tied up to the public wharf here in Burgeo rafted up to ‘IMVUBU’ riding out a 30 kt ’breeze’ out of the east. Quite protected here but a number of other boats in the fleet are anchored in the adjacent cove and having a bit of a time staying anchored. I imagine we’ll hear all about it at the gathering tonight!

Catching up on our travels so far:

After Baddeck we spent a night in Ingonish Harbor. A very picture post card place with a ski slope you can see from the harbor. From there we went into a place called Dingwall which, is about as close to the top of Cape Breton as you can get. We weathered through a strong low pressure system here and the next day ventured across the Cabot Strait to Port au Basque.

Port au Basque, NF had all the basics; food, fuel, water, laundry and a well-stocked chandlery – Land & Sea Outfitters Inc. We walked around ‘downtown’ (both blocks) with the crew from ‘Sweet Dreams’ and then trekked up to the Marine Traffic office for a look-see, some information and to extend our thanks to the folks there for keeping an eye on us as we travel across the Cabot Strait, through the fog and weather.

We motored around a bit in the port of Rose Blanche, while quaint and home of the Friendly Fisherman restaurant (apparently large portions of very fresh fish and shellfish) it’s not configured to keep yachts protected from a Southwester (unless you’re warped at the government dock). So, we sailed several miles east and anchored in ‘The Basin’ above Harbor Le Cou (47 38.109N, 58 40.873W). We anchored on the edge of a 100’ deep pool with a stern line wrapped around a shoreline rock. Just before deluge or rain, we dinghied to the 200’ waterfall that cascades into the pool and then across the bay to the little community located on the western shore at Harboor Le Cou. Picturesque, lovely and very sheltered. If you are desperate for ‘civilization’ a 20-minute walk west will bring you to the nearest liquor store. Since it is going to be foggy, rainy and cool till Friday we’re going to take a short motor-sail to Culotte Cove in Cinq Cerf Bay.

Along the way to Culotte Cove we motored into the ‘pint-sized harbor’ of Grand Bruit. The electricity is still on but there is no one at home! The local ferry service no longer stops at this hamlet and there is no land access to the town so, the forty-four people living in the town were relocated elsewhere. No people, no boats, no cars – just houses with curtains in the windows and a government wharf open to the sea. Culotte Cove (47 42.012N, 58 05.774W) is lovely. There is a spit of sandy beach to anchor the dinghy. The water is the color of well-steeped tea from all the tannins in the soil. We trudged over the sub-arctic terrain with the dogs glad for the opportunity to stretch our legs and photograph the wild iris and colorful ground covers of every shape. Saw evidence of Caribou but not the real thing. After drinks onboard Moonshadow Star with Brian and Sandy, Marina on Sea Bear and Tony and Angela on Tana Vika we settled in ‘securely’ in this snug, well protected cove and slept undisturbed throughout a light blow from the northeast.

Faring departed early with the others heading to Burgeo - the metropolis of the south east coast! Rolf on Invubu offered up rafting space alongside the Public Wharf so we are one deck away from the action. Tomorrow we’ll tour the Maritime Traffic office and have a lobster dinner at the firehouse with the rest of the flotilla. I get to mail my post cards, finally, and do a bit of grocery shopping, laundry and sightseeing.
































Comments
Vessel Name: Faring
Vessel Make/Model: 1997 Manta 40 catamaran
Hailing Port: Arrowsic, Maine
Crew: Ken, Heather, Buoy & Bantam
About: Ken is a 1979 Maine Maritime Grad with many years of sailing experience. Heather is a new but willing participant in the adventure. Buoy and Bantam are along for the ride whether they like it or not (they are doing great)!
Extra: Faring has been upgraded extensively for our voyage. Our first year is so far planned to go to the southern Bahamas and return to Maine in the spring. We'll decide where to go next after this trip!

Who: Ken, Heather, Buoy & Bantam
Port: Arrowsic, Maine