Wanderings of Felice

25 August 2015
08 July 2015
05 July 2015 | Horta faial.
04 July 2015 | Pico Azores
10 May 2015
10 May 2015
10 May 2015
05 March 2015
22 February 2015 | Basse Terre Guadeloupe
22 February 2015
11 February 2015 | Guadeloupe
28 January 2015
23 December 2014
18 November 2014
18 August 2014
03 May 2014
21 April 2014
21 April 2014
20 April 2014
20 April 2014

Horta

05 July 2015 | Horta faial.
Once rested and the boat all sorted out it was into town to find the supermarket for some fresh rations as Andy said he was not going to eat out of a tin for a few days, also we asked around for a good place to eat out. Peters bar got some good reviews so off we went one evening for a beer and a meal. I had the rock fish which was a strange looking thing but very nice and Andy went for the steak which he said was Ok.

Looking back at the crossing to the Azores it doesn't seem so bad just long and slow, the high points of some days was when the pods of dolphins came to play we would both watch them till they left. On one occasion I spotted a couple of whales off in the distance all you could see was the jet of spray shooting into the air. We then looked in the other direction and a huge whale was passing across our path we weren't quick enough with the camera so no photos but they were lovely to watch. Most day we would be followed by a sea bird which we think was a shearwater dipping and floating over the waves. We only saw one other yacht and that was at the beginning of the trip, we saw a few large ships and many more were noted by the AIS so we could tell how close we would get to them. Andy only called twice on the radio to make sure the ship had seen us which they had we were a little concerned at how close they would get both altered their course enough to pass us by.

Horta is one of the four busiest yacht transit harbours in the world and nearly all the yachts are berthed in the marina which was opened in 1984, although the first breakwater was built in 1876. The Cafe' Sport which overlooks the harbour has been a meeting place for yachtsmen for at least half a century. Founded by Jose' Azevedo in 1918 and is now run by his grandson Peter hence the other name of Peter's bar, the walls of the cafe' are hung with burgees from many famous yachts. Many sailors still gather in Peter's bar in the evenings.
Comments
Vessel Name: Felice
Vessel Make/Model: Van de stadt Forna
Hailing Port: Plymouth
Crew: Andy and Pam Rice
About: Husband and wife team.

Who: Andy and Pam Rice
Port: Plymouth