Finding Candine

04 September 2015 | Approaching Victoria
13 August 2015 | At Sea
28 July 2015 | Honolulu, HI
15 July 2015 | At Sea
11 July 2015 | At Sea
30 June 2015 | Ua Pou
13 June 2015 | En route to Fatu Hiva
29 May 2015 | En route to Mangareva
23 May 2015 | Approaching Pitcairn
15 May 2015 | At sea
12 May 2015 | Anakena Bay, Rapa Nui
01 May 2015 | Anakena Bay, Rapa Nui
26 April 2015 | 270 nm north of Easter Island
14 April 2015 | Just south of the Equator
09 April 2015 | 750 nautical miles south of Mexico
03 April 2015 | 60 nautical miles south of Zihuatanejo
25 March 2015 | Zihuatanejo
06 February 2015 | Zihuatanejo
14 January 2015 | Bahia de Navidad

Our first week at sea!

09 April 2015 | 750 nautical miles south of Mexico
Kristy
Well we survived our first week at sea! And we celebrated with a healthy ration of the ship's grog (some cane sugar alcohol we found in Mexico that we thought was mezcal - it was about $2 for 2 litres..). The passage started out great. Beautiful sunny skies, calm seas, it was literally smooth sailing! With ten knots of wind it was perfect spinnaker weather and we were making great time. On the first day, we attracted a few sea birds that decided the top of the main mast was a good spot for a break. After fighting over landing rights for awhile they eventually discovered the top of the mizzen mast. And the bow rail. And the stern rail. Eventually we had a total of 11 birds using Candine as a perch and several more circling the boat. All was fine until we realized how much bird shit was all over the decks and it was time for them to go. The weather was so pleasant for the first few days that we were able to lift the bow of the dinghy and open the forward hatch which greatly contributed to the airflow down below. It is definitely hot out here and the extra air was very welcome! We even thought about a quick jump in the ocean to cool down, but considering the water temperature out here is 29 degrees, we didn't think that would be much relief. By day four the wind picked up to 20-25 knots and the seas grew as well. Nothing crazy, and we have still been having a great sail, but every so often we get a wave over the side and in to the cockpit. We've all taken turns getting doused, including Myst. It took two days before she would come back in the cockpit. In addition to the birds, we have been treated to a few visits from dolphins, and seen flying fish flutter about above the water. On my watch last night, once the sun was down and before the moon was up, I heard a thud followed by the sound of flopping around in the cockpit. I ran down below as far as my tether would allow and grabbed a flashlight. Apparently a rather large flying fish had misjudged its voyage and found its way into the cockpit. It was a good 8 inches long, the biggest flying fish I'd ever seen! Anyways, Tim decided he didn't want to fry it up for dinner so he tossed it back into the ocean. Well we're expecting this wind to keep up for another day before we hit the doldrums and cross the Equator. Currently, we're sailing along at 5.5 knots in 20 knots of wind on the beam and as always, the autopilot is our hardest working crew member. All in all it's been a pleasant voyage thus far, but we still have many miles to go! Just under 2000 nautical miles and a few more weeks at sea before we reach Easter Island!
Comments
Vessel Name: Candine
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 44
Hailing Port: Victoria, British Columbia
Crew: Tim, Austen, Kristy, Mist
About: Tim is owner/captain with Austen and Kristy rounding out the crew. Mist is our sweet little cross-eyed boat cat!
Extra: Tim set out on Candine in 2007 with Austen and family to sail across the Pacific Ocean. They picked up Kristy in Tonga and they haven't been able to get rid of her since. Now we're heading South for new adventures!

Who: Tim, Austen, Kristy, Mist
Port: Victoria, British Columbia