I think this little guy was lost at sea
Well, we spent more time in Thompson Bay Long Island. That's because we were having fun. We like Long Island. There are lots of things to do- rent a car and go down the island to a Laundromat, go to Max's Conch Bar for great conch salad, visit Clarence Town, stop at a liquor store, great grocery stores, get Kim a haircut, and have tons of fun at the Long Island Breeze.
Having lunch with the Lost Marbles at Max's Conch Bar
Kim and Gina
Gary making our conch salads
We had a great time with Michael and Jackie who own/operate the Long Island Breeze. It's a resort, bar, restaurant, swimming pool, and sort of the "center of activity" for cruisers. They are fun people that go out of their way to make it comfortable for us. Plus, they have a great Philly Cheesesteak with REAL French fries, made from fresh potatoes...wow!!! It was hard to leave, but we had to get on our way. We had been travelling with the Lost Marbles (Gate and Gina), but they stayed back to wait on some friends. Another sad departure.
The plan was to go to Cat Island, but the weather caused us to change plans..go figure. We went to the top of Long Island and spent the night. So late in the afternoon when we were anchoring the VHF was full of great conversations. When I pick on newbies, it's because some of them are plain dumb. An experienced cruiser was leading a newbie up the coast to anchor for the evening. They pulled into Calabash Bay. It's very large and VERY defined on the charts...impossible to miss. So the newbie was asking "where are we...is this Calabash Bay?" It would be impossible to look at your boat on a chart plotter and not realize you were in Calabash Bay. After they anchored and felt the surge (which is also noted on the charts) they asked "is there somewhere we can go to get out of this rolling?" The experienced guy came on and said not really, but you could go back south a little and check. The newbie stayed there for the night, but got out early to go to Cat Island. Since the forecast was for 18 out of the SW, the anchorage at Cat would be VERY rolley and unprotected. That's why we changed our destination to Rat Cay on the other side of the sound. I suspect they might be committing suicide right now...or listing the boat for sale...or just plain hating life. Oh well...live and learn.
So we're in Rat Cay waiting on the front to move through. We should be able to get out Saturday. So yesterday I figured that I needed to get in the water and see if there are any lobsters in this well-traveled area. Jumped in and got a big guy...5.5 lbs.! There's only one week left of the season...and it's been a good one. We fished the entire 44 miles to get here and only caught a Barracuda...in 4,000 ft. of water...he had to have been lost.
5.5 lbs. of lobster!!!!!
That's all for now...more later...