First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Albania

21 August 2014 | Albania
Bernie
Typical street in Durres with black German cars!

I was joined by Jon and friend Jacqui in Montenegro. Jacqui was on a whirlwind overseas trip and being a dinghy sailor, she was keen to include some coastal sailing in her travels. After a quick look around Kotor we departed Montenegro and did an overnight sail to the port of Durres in Albania. Albania has only opened its doors to tourism in recent years. The majority of yachts sailing the Adriatic still give Albania a 'wide berth'. Part of the reason for this is that the Albanian coast was mined to deter invaders and the mine fields are still there. Charts of the coastline warn vessels to stay clear. So it was with caution that we approached the coast and entered into the port of Durres. We were welcomed into this commercial port by our agent who I had contacted beforehand. There were no facilities for yachts to tie up so we berthed alongside a big rubber buffer on the dock.
The formalities of entering Albania were handled smoothly by the agent with no surprises. We were quickly cleared to leave the docks and explore the town. We found to our surprise that Durres was more developed than we had expected. We discovered the ruins of a Roman amphitheatre in remarkably good condition complete with underground chambers with perfectly preserved paintings. The following day we took a one hour bus ride into Tirana the capital. Once again we were pleasantly surprised at just how modern the city was. We couldn't help noticing the number of expensive German cars on the road (most of them black!). According to Lonely Planet, many of these cars are stolen from Germany. Apparently advertising in Germany promoting Albania as a tourist destination says "Come to Albania, your car is already here".
While in Albania I received an email from Simon asking if I was interested in joining a small crew as engineer on the Open 60 yacht Hugo Boss to deliver it from LA to Panama. I accepted and allowed five days to get back into Greece, put the boat on the hard and fly out to LA.
So with the pressure of this deadline, we departed Albania and sailed back to Corfu where Jon and Jacqui departed and then I sailed overnight to Preveza in Greece. After a couple of hectic days packing up the boat and preparing her for winter storage, I boarded a flight to Rome and then another to LA.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia