First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

133 miles to go

28 November 2016 | Atlantic
Bernie
It is now day....hmmm...I need to look at the log book. Yes its day 5 of our passage from the Canary islands to Cape Verde islands. The water temperature and air temperature have gone up a few degreed as we slowly get closer to the equator. Yesterday we noticed lots of flying fish getting airborne, obviously escaping some predator below. We had eaten into our fresh supplies so it was time to get serious about fishing. I had made some lures out of rubber glove fingers XL size shredded to look similar to a squid. There was the pink index finger model and a bluish model as well. Each had a few hours over the stern, but no takers. Out came an old lure that looked a bit like a flying fish, apart from a couple of nasty hooks attached. It was deployed and soon after we noticed a large shadow just under the water near the lure. It was over 2 metres long and judging by the vertical fin that broke the surface, it looked like a shark. After a minute of watching it we decided it was not the sort of fish we wanted aboard, so the lure was retrieved ASAP.

A number of other lures have been tried, but still no fish.

Two days ago we veered over towards the African coast to get more favorable winds and it paid off. We sailed with the kite up for 24 hours in 12 to 17 knot winds rarely dropping below 7 to 8 knots boatspeed. But last night the wind pressure eased off and with the confused sea we could not stop the main from crashing about, so reluctantly it was dropped and today we are motoring with the headsail poled out.

Simon had a go at making a foccacia style bread today and it turned out very well indeed. It was baked in a large pizza tray and only took about ten minutes to cook.

One more night to go before we reach the bright lights of Mindelo. A shopping list and job list are already being prepared.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia