First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Red tape!

30 March 2017 | San Cristobal Galapagos
Bernie
Phew, we knew we would have to jump through some bureaucratic hoops coming to the Galapagos islands and we tried to be prepared as much as possible. So here is what transpired. We arrived here on the 28th before sunset and given the time we hoped the authorities would not visit us and hit us with overtime costs. They didnt turn up so we expected them the next day.. You are not allowed off your yacht until you have been visited by Customs, Immigration and others and formally cleared into the country. So the next day we waited and waited and waited, by mid afternoon I sent an email to our agent asking what was happening. He turned up to collect our passports and other documents then headed off saying he would be back at 5. He turned up after 5 saying that all the authorities were on their way. They all turned up, six of them in various uniforms, patent leather shoes, guns, the full works and proceeded to all cram in our cockpit. There was a flurry of questions, form filling out and stamping of documents. Then an officer in a pure white uniform went down below to inspect something. He found my main fire extinguisher had not been serviced for some time and seized on this. It was not a hanging offence and we would be still allowed into the country. The officer seemed happy he had found something and didnt check anything else. Our passports were duly stamped and we were in except for one thing...the fumigation of the boat. The fumigation was scheduled for 8 the next morning and when done you have to get off your boat for 3 hours.

We made a bee line for shore in a water taxi and found a sea food restaurant where we downed a few coldies and enjoyed a delicious meal. The next morning there we were again waiting! Eventually a young man turned up to fumigate the boat and it was done. Sprayed inside with something and closed up. I asked a number of times what was being used and what precautions we need to take after the fumigation, but I didnt get anything. So if this turns out to be the last blog update, you will know it was pretty strong stuff.

Anyway, we are now free to explore this island and already we have visited a very well setup centre that describes the history of the Galapagos islands. We found a WIFI and had an internet fix. Tomorrow we plan to cycle into the centre of the island.

Bern and Damien
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia