First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Earthquakes and Tsunami warnings

03 October 2009 | Oyster Is - Vanuatu
Bernie
Yesterday morning I was inside the yacht and felt a weird bumping motion. Not the usual rocking caused by waves but something that felt like the yacht was on a trailer going down a bumpy road. I wondered if it was an earthquake, so logged onto the net to check for tsunami warnings. Vanuatu has a number of active volcanos and one in particular at Santa Maria Is has just in the last week shown signs of more activity. The internet search turned up a report of the earthquake I had just experienced, indicating that it was magnitude 8 and about 300Km north of here. The report also issued a warning of potential tsunami waves that were predicted to hit here in a matter of minutes. Hell!! I was able to broadcast a warning to other yachts in the vicinity and alerted the nearby resort. However there seemed to be little change in water level. The resort quickly evacuated all guests to Santo Is and higher ground. In the next couple of hours more earthquakes were felt, but still no significant effect on water level. There were 11 yachts in the bay at the time, each with slightly nervous skippers planning how to deal with a tsunami wave should it come into this sheltered bay. The water level was being keenly watched as an indicator that something was going to happen, but apart from a few small rises and falls nothing really occurred. A few hours later the tsunami warnings were withdrawn. A few after shocks are predicted.

So I am back to preparing the boat for the return voyage back to Australia with my brother Damien who will arrive in Vaunatu on Sunday. Also with internet access here I am following Simon's progress in the mini Transat. He is nearly one week into the 3000 mile second leg from Madeira across the Atlantic to Baie de Salvador in Brazil.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia