First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Finally on our way!

20 April 2010 | Bundaberg to Airlie Beach
Di
After a week in the water restoring all the fittings and making First Light look like a yacht again we said good- bye to Bundaberg. Di had arrived the week before and with Simon sailing with us to Airlie Beach we were set to go. The weather forecast was for freshening winds and rain which did eventuate. We had a brisk overnight sail setting a new top speed of 14.5 knots and covering over 200 miles in 24 hours. We arrived at Middle Percy Island the following afternoon. As the toe rails had just been refitted the rain and water across the deck really put the fittings and the Sikaflex to the test. Unfortunately we had quite a few leaks so spent some time while at anchor to reseal with a generous dollop of Sikaflex on each screw. We went ashore at Percy and visited the shack on the beach where every passing yacht for the last 20 or so years has left a memento of their vessel. Usually the name and date they visited the island, but some leave burgees or wooden plaques with their yacht's name inscribed. It all makes for a very interesting read. During our walk to the top of the island we were startled by a few green tree snakes wriggling out of our way! and got as far as the main house where the island's caretakers reside. The views from the top are quite spectacular. We then sailed north to Scawfell Is which is about 50nm from Middle Percy. It was a great day's sail and gave us a chance to commission the new spinnaker with Simon's help and advice. It worked a treat and added a few knots to our speed which is what we were hoping. Hamilton Is was our next over night stop and gave us a chance to reminisce with Simon about our visits there way back in 1990. We were really impressed with architecture and design of the new yacht club and enjoyed a pre-dinner drink on the balcony with views to both sides of the island. Next day we headed to Airlie Beach where we spent a week having a new bimini fitted, stocking up on groceries and doing some last minute jobs before heading north again. Simon left us at this stage flying out from Hamilton Is back to Sydney. We loved having him on board and were certainly sorry to see him go!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia