First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Setting sail for Bau Bau

18 August 2010 | Wakatobi Islands
Di
We have spent quite a relaxing ten days in Wangi Wangi enjoying our calm anchorage in the lagoon. We have shopped at the local market for vegetables and bought a freshly caught tuna which we enjoyed for dinner that evening. Fish is a daily staple for the locals and the market sells a variety in all sizes- they obviously don't have a policy on catching and selling undersized fish ! On Sunday we dinghied our bikes ashore and went for 4 hr ride around the island, which was quite interesting and good exercise. It seems we were quite a novelty to the locals, as we rode through the various villages along the way, with many laughing , cheering and waving to us as we went by. The roads were in reasonable condition, but we were glad for our wide tyres at times. Sunday evening was the official dinner for the rally yachts. It was held 15 kms out of town at the islands first 4 star resort! The building was very smart with bungalows still under construction. However, we enjoyed a dinner of traditional food and were entertained by some beautiful, young local girls performing some traditional dances. There weren't too many speeches, but the Regent (local governor) certainly let us know that our visit to Wakatobi was appreciated and encouraged us to r eturn home and tell our friends about the area. It is Ramadan at the moment so the �*all to Prayer' begins quite early 3am (!) to alert everyone to get out of bed, pray and eat before sunrise. As the music and praying is broadcast around the island, we have been woken early as well, so I guess this will continue until the end of Ramadan, at the end of the month! This evening we set sail for Bau Bau (southern Sulawesi) about 85nm west from here, which is the next rally stopover. Hopefully we will arrive early tomorrow morning in good light to find a suitable anchorage. Some boats left yesterday and others are heading south to Flores Island to meet up with the other rally boats who are sailing through the southern group of Indonesian islands. We plan to be in Bau Bau till ealry next week, then will sail south towards the western end of Flores Island.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia