First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Beautiful Bali

20 September 2010 | Lovina Bay, Bali
Di
After our five day in Medana Bay on Lombok Island where we enjoyed a cultural performance and gala dinner as part of the rally, we set sail for Lovina Bay, Bali. Due to lack of wind once again, we motored all the way, but made it in time for a safe entry between two coral reefs into the bay, late afternoon. Lovina Bay is an official rally stopover, so tomorrow is the start of the festivities which include more cultural performances and another gala dinner at one of the restaurants that line the beach here. This particular restaurant is owned by an Australian and has apple crumble on the menu, much to Bern's delight! On Sunday we took a trip by car to Ubud situated in the foothills of southern Bali and about 25kms north of the capital Denpasar. It was a little more 'touristy' than we expected, but surrounded by beautiful green rice paddy fields so it seemed more rural than urban. The drive across the steep mountain range that separates the south from the north side of the island is quite spectacular with great views down into the valleys and across to terraced rice paddy fields. Being a 2 1/2 hr trip we had a night off the boat and stayed in a hotel made up of separate bungalows set in lush tropical gardens in the centre of Ubud. We dined in one of the many good restaurants there and managed to find a great bakery serving lates and selling very good bread. We have found the Indonesian style of bread to be light ,fluffy and very sweet. While there we also experienced a night of torrential rain and can now understand why Bali has such lush tropical growth with much land used for market gardens and rice growing. As Bali is about 85% Hindu there are many ornate temples to visit with enormous statues of various gods and mythical animals. The Hindu's daily devotion to their Gods involves quite a ritual. Small bamboo boxes containing perfumed frangipani of various colours, maybe some rice or other food and a burning incense stick are placed on the footpaths outside homes and shops or at altars made up of a statue and a place to hold the offerings. Most shops have an altar and of course all the homes have one. At certain times of the day a small ceremony is performed. A young girl carrying a tray of these packages, will place each one of them at various points around the outside of buildings and inside at the altar. While doing so, she waves her hand with a piece of frangipani between fingers over the offering, as if giving a blessing. The ceremony is very quiet and graceful.. I think the smell of incense and frangipani will always remind us of our visit to Bali. We returned once again by shuttle car Monday afternoon and during the trip frequently had our 'hearts in our mouths' as the driver, an Indonesian version of Michael Schumacher, negotiated the winding roads and sharp bends back over the mountains. Most Indonesians seem to use a motor scooter for their own personal use, as well as, the whole family transport, so the roads are full of them. Many are loaded to the hilt with all manner of things. The young children are not bound by law to wear a helmet so they look very vulnerable riding along squeezed in between their mum and dad who are both wearing one! We will be here till the end of the week, then we will head north again to Kumai in Kalimantan.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia