First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Heading North

14 June 2012 | Cukurcuk
The lighthouse, behind which are the ancient ruins of Knidos

We finally left the Marmaris area last Friday heading north slowly towards the Dardanelles. The overall plan is to get as far north as we can then return slowly down the coast when the Meltemis (northerlies) 'kick in' usually July and August. Our first stopover was in a small protected bay and village called Bozburun. Through our friend Peter, who has a friend there with a resort and jetty we were able to tie up and had our first experience of mooring Med style. Bern was most excited as it was the first outing for the passarelle, which worked very well. We were pleasantly surprised that we could use the jetty for free and weren't expected to dine at their restaurant which is often the case. We were keen to buy a bottle of champagne to toast the passarelle but at 300TL (150AUD) we resorted to white wine and beer! We spent two nights here and explored the quiet little village where Bern had a haircut, beard trim, ear hairs 'Flambed' with a wad dipped in methanol, set alight and waved past his ears singing the unsuspecting hairs in its path, all for $7!

On Sunday we sailed on towards Bodrum and managed to get full sails up for most of the morning. At the moment the winds are light and we have been motor sailing most of the time to make miles. The coastline is magnificent, steep, craggy mountain ranges with little green growth. The scenery is more barren than expected, but there are numerous bays to anchor so a lot on offer to explore on our return trip. We spent the last two nights in Gumbet Bay just over the hill from Bodrum. Once again, this area is very popular with the English tourists and many of the hillsides overlooking the water are densely covered in white concrete, holiday apartment blocks. We took a short bus trip into Bodrum which has a busy waterfront area and is home to the luxurious Gulets. Today we left early and motorsailed all morning until we reached a quiet little cove which seems home to only a few local fishng boats. We have good internet coverage with our Turkcell dongle and have been able to update our blog and catch up on emails.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia