First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

First Greek Island

21 July 2012 | Lesvos
A small fishing village on the Greek island of Lesvos

We have now crossed over into the eastern islands of Greece. The island of Lesvos is only 14 nm west of Ayvalik and the capital Mitilini was our first stop being a port of entry. Greece seems to take a very official line with all craft entering their ports, as we had not long entered the inner harbour of Mitilini when we were hailed by a young customs officer, instructed to tie up in a particular quarantine area and not leave the boat until all checking- in had been done. All this is normal procedure, but we have found that many countries are quite lax compared to Australia, but Greece is on the ball! We spent a week backed into the wall in this lovely Greek seaside town, with a few other yachts and motor cruisers. The choices of fresh fruit, vegetables, meats, cheeses, wines, olives and olive oil were excellent, as were the restaurants. Lesvos is the third largest of the Greek Islands, very green and lush, covered mostly in olive groves, thus it enjoys a reputation for good quality olive oil and of course olives. We hired a car for a day and drove to the NW point at the top of the island and spent a few hours in another very pretty seaside town called Molyvos. Like Mitilini, a large castle dominates the town and is strategically situated on the highest point overlooking the harbour. The castles in both towns were built for defensive reasons and have passed through the hands of various rulers over the centuries. It is interesting to see that once ownership passes from Christian to Ottoman rule, some of the architecture changes with the addition of a mosque and minarets being the most obvious. Also of interest was the use of ancient carved blocks of stone in the building of the castles, proving that recycling was in full swing way back in the 11th century.

We are now anchored in the harbour of Plomarion on the south western side of Lesvos. It is a beautiful old town with cobbled laneways and small shops sandwiched between the sea and the mountains. Very early this morning the local fishermen were selling their catch from their boats in the harbour. We could hear calling out "calimar fresca, calimar fresca", so Bern dashed out and for 3 Euros we have the makings of a delicious dinner tonight.

By the way you might have noticed that the name Lesvos sounds like the word lesbian..... well you are right, there are links! In the past Lesvos was actually called Lesbos. Sappho the great Greek poet was born on Lesvos. Much of her work was devoted to love and desire and the object of her affections were often female. So her name and birthplace have come to be associated with female sexuality. Apparently these days Lesvos is visited by many lesbians paying their respects to Sappho and is a very gay friendly island!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia