First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Fun and Games in Gocek!

03 November 2012 | Marmaris
Bern
A beautiful bay to ourselves, but not for long!

For the last two weeks we have been cruising the protected waters around the town of Gocek. The area has many small bays surrounded by spectacular mountain ranges and is dotted with interesting ancient ruins and historical sites. It reminds us of the Pittwater and Hawkesbury river area in NSW.

It is no surprise that this area is one of the most popular boating destinations on the Turkish coast. We spent a few days moored in the little town of Gocek before venturing out to explore the many nearby bays. Water depth in the anchorages is often over 20 metres only a couple of boat lengths off the shore, so anchoring conventionally is difficult unless you have a very long chain. The alternative in the Med is to drop your anchor about 4-5 boatlengths off the shore then back in and tie off to something secure onshore.

The Fethiye and Gocek area is full of charter boats and with so many anchorages close to each other, it's not unusual to get over 50 yachts crowding into a small bay late in the day to spend the night there and dine at a taverna. We have been entertained by the often inexperienced (but it seems, very confident!) crews on the charter yachts getting themselves into trouble in the close quarters. One charter Catamaran coming in to tie up to a floating pontoon was going way too fast and managed to straddle the end of the pontoon with a hull either side - lots of shouting, splintering wood and people diving off the pontoon to escape.

We would always aim to anchor clear of other yachts and with enough light to dive and check that the anchor is hooked in. Many of the charter yachts had a different philosophy and would arrive late in the day, sometimes after sunset and invariably drop their anchor close to other yachts (ours). It seemed to happen to us every night and more than once I had to row over and politely discuss the situation. Surprisingly, despite their obvious lack of anchoring skills, they would often stand their ground, sometimes resulting in us reluctantly having to re-anchor to avoid a collision during the night as the wind would typically do a 180.

We were not used to the aggression displayed by the crews of some boats. It seems the crowded waterways and competition for a mooring brings out the worst in some people. After a couple of weeks in the area it was time to move on.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia