First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Ten days in Bademli

10 June 2013 | Bademli Limani
Bern trying to get the dinghy to 'plane' - should have bought a bigger outboard!

Last year we anchored in this area, so when we returned this year we felt very comfortable in knowing that the anchor holding is sound and we will have good protection when the predicted northerlies blow. The local village is about a 1km walk and we are able to get basic provisions there such as fresh bread, some grocery items and meat from the local butcher, although the fillet steak requires a little tenderising before it's cooked on the BBQ! The village is described to us, by one of the locals as an 'old man's village'. We guess that he means it is a place for retirees, as most of the friendly village people are elderly men and women. It seems customary for many of the men to meet in the village square for tea and board games, especially on a Friday which is the Muslim sabbath! We are able to get a local bus to the nearest major town Dikili, 9kms away where we check out the small fishing harbour, enjoy a reasonable cappucino and Bern is able to get his fix of a visit to the chandlers! The northerly Meltimi winds blow in as predicted and while not too strong during the day, we experience a local effect where the evening land breeze intensifies the Meltimi causing strong winds overnight. So our sleep is fitfull with the noise of the wind and the concern that our anchor might drag and we will be washed up on the rocks.
For the past few weeks our faith in our anchor and it's holding potential has been slowly diminshing and we are seriously considering buying a new one of a different design. Bern is busy researching the Rocna anchor which seems popular with many of the yachties we have met. Our friends from 'Onset' Bunny & Bill arrived halfway through our stay and we enjoy walks, afternoons swims and a game of Mexican Train dominoes to which they have introduced us!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia