First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Visiting Santorini

02 October 2013 | Santorini
Overlooking the Santorini caldera

One of the highlights of our stay on Naxos Island is the day trip by ferry to the island of Santorini. We have heard that a vist to this island is a 'must' for it's unique geographic features and stunning views of the Aegean. Santorini is about 45nm south of Naxos and as it does not have good anchorages, we decide to take a 3 hour ferry ride there. We arrived at the island mid morning. Santorini is a ring of rock around the sea--essentially, the rim of an old volcano, filled with water. The last eruption was in the 1950's. The crater or caldera was formed when the volcano erupted and the central part sank below water level. The sheer cliffs that rise up over 150 metres from the caldera are made up of lava-layered rock and on top sit the villages which seem to run along a circular ridge. It is quite a spectacular sight arriving by ferry! There are numerous cruise ships and day ferries moored in the bay and we are met by a bus at the port to transport us up into the main villages, which is a very steep climb up to the top. Fira and Oia are the main villages and both have amazing views over the caldera. The buildings are all white with blue trim and domed roofs. We are told that the reason the buildings are painted white is because it is a colour that reflects the heat of summer. We visit a local museum and as well, take many photos, as the views are amazing. The island produces a small quantity of excellent white wine a product of the furtile volcanic soil and Medeterannean climate. As it is such a windy island the vines are encouraged to grow along the ground where they are more sheltered.

We were overwhelmed by the number of tourists that pack the villages, shops and restaurants. Tourism is the islands main economy and with a number of cruise liners in port, flights landing etc the place was packed. We are thrilled when we 'ran into' some friends, we know from when we lived in Melbourne eight years ago. We enjoy catching up on each others news over a drink in a bar overlooking the picturesque bay. We catch our return ferry home late afternoon, which is quite a rolly ride home as the winds are up and the seas are reasonably steep. As a consequence there are many sea sick passengers. Of course Bern has his sea legs and is happy to read his book all the way home, while Di finds the floor a more steady place to sit!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia