First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Cycling in Hvar

27 June 2014 | Vella Garska, Hvar
Admiring the view in Hvar

We have been told the main harbour on Hvar is rather hectic and awash with superyachts, powerboats, fishing boats and boats like ours. As we sail past the main town, what we have heard looks to be right so we head for a small bay, Vella Garska a little further north. We notice a small restaurant at the western end of the bay and many laid lines for visiting yachts to attach themselves which is safer than anchoring in the narrow inlet. We are approached by a friendly guy in a dinghy who offers to help us tie up. When we ask about the cost he replies that it is free, we just have to eat at his restaurant. That suits us as we have not dined out in Croatia yet! The setting is very pretty on the edge of a national park, where deer and wild pigs are protected and a couple of lonely donkeys are enclosed in a pen. Pine trees and bushes of rosemary grow right down to the waters edge on both sides of the inlet. Rosemary is as lush in Croatia as Oregano is in Greece. It's growing everywhere and often used as a border for gardens or veggie patches.
We enjoy our dinner and peaceful anchorage the first evening so much, that we decide to stay a second night and spend the second day looking around the main town of Hvar. There is a 500 metre goats track that leads out from the restaurant, before becoming a sandy track that leads out of the National Park onto the main road to Hvar. So we decide to take the bikes and only have to push them up the goat track before we are able to ride. It is up hill to the old castle on high, overlooking Hvar town and harbour. We take a look around the castle admiring the wonderful views out to the islands to the west. We enjoy the ride downhill into town but are aware that we have a steep climb out on the way back! Hvar is an attractive town, with a busy waterfront-many day tripper boats coming and going out to the islands and many tourists walking around slurping on ice-creams, which seems to be what one does in Croatia. The ice-cream is delicious though! We cycle around the old town and enjoy riding up the narrow alleyways where there are some beautiful old stone residences with bright coloured bouganvelia growing in the gardens. We visit an old catholic cathedral and are noticing how much less decorative the churches in Croatia are (which are mainly Catholic) compared to the Greek Orthodox churches.

Re-fueled with a take-away toasted sandwich which pales into comparison with the Greek Gyros we are off back up the steep hill and over the top and down again back to the boat. Our second restaurant meal is almost as good as the first night, but more expensive as Bern chooses fish for his main course. For some reason fish seems to be the most expensive item on restaurant menus. Maybe the waters here are over fished and fish is a premium item! Pork, as in Greece is one of the cheaper priced meats above sausages! However, the cooks on board enjoy another night off!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia