First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

A Rude Awakening!

05 July 2014 | Luka Zlarin
The town of Prvic a welcome refuge!

After a pleasant overnight stop in the Rogoznica area, where we are able to anchor in town, off load some rubbish and stock up on fresh supplies, we decide to take advantage of the forecast SE winds and head north to the island of Zlarin. The winds are not as strong as predicted, but we enjoy the best broad reaching sail that we have had so far this season.

We enter the harbour at Luka Zlarin and our anchor sets well in the sandy bottom which is good, as the southerly breeze is expected to strengthen later in the day, before dropping off overnight. Being a Sunday there are many charter boats tying up at the dock and all the buoys in the bay are taken as well, all taking shelter in anticipation of the stronger winds overnight. However, the expected easing of the winds after midnight did not occur, instead it increased, gusting to over 20 knots. Around 5am we noticed a very dark, thundery looking sky to the NW. As the bay we are in is open to the NW we go to 'full alert'. All of a sudden we notice the boats opposite us in the bay are turning their bows towards the NW, the wind has done a 180 degree shift. Bern immediately starts the engine and prepares for the wind change. We are hit side on with 40 knots and lean over dramatically, we are blasted with rain and thunder crashes around us. Our anchor is dislodged, but amazingly resets and holds us into the squall. But not far behind us is the shore and waves are already breaking around us. With the engine ticking over we are holding position. We look with alarm at the boats on laid-lines at the dock. They are now side on to the wind and rapidly building waves and being pushed onto each other with little hope of escaping due to the force of the wind. There are people up on deck, but are helpless to do much as their boats crash into each other. We have enough on our plate and decide to 'bail out' as our depth is only 5 metres there is not much distance between us and the shore. Fortunately, we are able to get the anchor up, even though the boat is pitching up and down with the increasing waves. By this stage the wind has dropped below 20 knots and we head for an anchorage a few miles to the west which will give us some protection. By the time we are halfway across the bay the wind is under 10 knots but the lightening, thunder and rain still persist. We enter the harbour of Prvic which looks a beautiful village even at 7am on a dull morning. According to our Pilot Guide there is room to anchor beyond the breakwater. To our surprise the harbour is full of laid buoys. This appears to be the way many harbours are going in Croatia. The ability to anchor is becoming less and less with the only option being to pick up a laid buoy or tie up to the town quay, all at great cost-$40 per night for a buoy or $60+ to tie up to the town quay. We pick up a buoy for the time being, take a hot shower, have some breakfast and debrief about our early wake up call!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia