First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

Ile des Pins

13 June 2009 | Noumea
Dianne
Yesterday we went to up anchor in Baie du Uie where we had spent the night and explored a small river. The anchor chain only came up a couple of metres then stopped dead, the winch could not budge it. Bern dived to investigate and saw what looked to be coral, stangely in the shape of an old anchor. After driving the boat around a bit and winching, we were able to slowly winch up more chain. Eventually, after much struggling by the winch we pulled up a really big old anchor, hooked onto our anchor. We tried to give it to some local fishermen, but they didn't understand what we were on about, so it got dropped to the bottom away from the main anchorage. Today we had a fantastic 36nm sail to the most idyllic place we have seen so far-the Ile des Pins (Isle of Pines). It is just what you'd imagine a Sth Pacific island to look like....tall pines, mixed in with palms, white sandy beaches and turquoise water. The island was actually named by James Cook way back in 1774, but he was unable to land here because of the surrounding reefs..didn't have the luxury of charts let alone electronic ones, as we have. The tall pines that grow here are named after Cook - Araucaria Cookii and tower over the lush undergrowth. We spent last night in Ilot Casy a calm sheltered cove with our friends Shauna & John from Destiny V and decided to make the trek south together today, as the winds were favourable and in the right direction. It was by far, our best sailing day and the conditions were what we had hoped our trip from Aust might be like...maybe the trip home! Bern has been trying to catch fish all day, trailing a line behind the boat and soon after we anchored cast the line out again. Not 10 mins later a large one was hooked, both of us already planning how we'd cook it for dinner, the bucket was ready and waiting, when it just flipped at the wrong time and slipped back into the water. So near and yet so far!! However, we know they are biting, so will try again. We hope to get our bikes ashore and do some exploring in the next few days. The island is quite low key area as far as services and amenities. however, as luck would have it, there is a Boulangerie a short walk from the beach so baguettes again for lunch tomorrow!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia