First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

A few days in We

07 July 2009 | Lifou, Loyalty Islands
Di
After clearing with Customs,Immigration and the Port Captain on Monday and farewelling friends we had made in the marina, we headed out from Noumea, bound for an overnight stop in the Baie de Prony. However, because of the good weather we decided we would keep going and sail overnight and head for We on the island of Lifou, the central island of the Loyalty group. With steady,light winds from the SE and a lovely full moon we made good progress and arrived in WE mid-morning. The only highlight of the evening was being passed by P&O's Pacific Dawn 'a floating apartment block' in the Havannah Passage- a narrow passage that leads out to open waters ! The cruise liner had spent the day in Noumea and was on its way to Lifou as well. Bern radioed the ship just to ensure it had spotted us. However, we were told they had picked us up on their radar but much to our concern, commented we weren't that visible. However, they radioed back a little while later " just to make us feel comfortable" was their explanation and =FDes' they could see us very well! Apparently the full moon throwing a lot of light meant our nav light was not as visible as on a dark night. We is the capital village of Lifou and has a small port for supply ships etc that come in from Noumea. Fortunately there is also a small marina allowing us to come alongside rather than anchor out. So we have been able to get the bikes off the boat and do some exploring. There are a few basic supermarkets that stock baguettes, so able to buy fresh bread today, a large school and government offices etc. The locals are very friendly and seem entertained by our fold -up bikes. We rode out of town to visit a wooden sculpture 'gallery' but the sculptor is away for awhile judging by the cardboard sign out the front of his house! Tomorrow we plan to sail out of New Caledonian waters and head for Port Resolution on the island of Tanna..one of the most southern of the Vanuatu chain.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia