Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Holy Crap - we are in the San Blas

24 October 2010 | Chichime Islands, San Blas, Panama - 09.35N 78.52W
Ralph
After leaving Portobello (finally), we stopped at Isla Grande, which was just another 12 miles further east along the coast. It is a resort place and the island was lined with small hotels, bars and restaurants. We actually got to sail for the first time this year as there was finally some wind and from the right direction. We did not get off the boat as we were planning on leaving early the next morning for the San Blas. The run to San Blas was 42 miles and I wanted to get an early start so we could arrive in good light. There was NO wind yesterday. We did put the main and jib up for awhile, but took the jib down when the wind turned to right on the nose and then took the main down when a nasty looking storm was forming to our south. We fished the whole way. Karen was on watch and noticed something ahead in the water. At first she thought there was water breaking over a reef, but soon figured out it was a fish feeding frenzy and we were headed right for it. And sure enough, just as we got in to it, the reel started to go off. It was fairly easy to reel it in and we had caught our first ever yellow tail tuna. Not a very big one, but it will be very tasty. I had never cleaned one of these and my book says it's very important to bleed them. So I followed all of the instructions and a little while later and a lot of sweat, I had 4 nice chunks of tuna meat. We had eaten tuna the two meals before as Dutch Dreamer had given us some before we left Portobello, but it will be on the menu today.

We arrived at Chichime at around 3:00pm and it is as beautiful as we had imagined - low lying islands ringed with sand and covered in palm trees. The Kuna Indians live on these islands in grass huts like they have for over 100 years. It is amazing. They paddle around in dugout canoes - usually the whole family and came out to greet us and of course try to sell us some lobster, crabs and molas. There is a famous expert mola maker here called Lisa. Lisa is actually a man, but lives as a woman which is quite common here in Kuna Yala. She came over to our boat to tell us she sells Molas and has a small bar at the end of one of the two islands we are anchored between. We will go over today and check it out. We are anchored in 40 feet of water - deeper than I think we have ever anchored and that means putting out most of the chain we have. There is also a boat here from Victoria that we met at Shelter Bay and we had Randy and Lynne over for sundowners. It is surreal to be anchored beside these spectacular islands with the palm leave huts and natives running around. The woman are all dressed up in bright colors with gold rings through their noses and ears and beads around their legs. In this culture, the woman are in charge of the household - managing the money and making most of the major decisions.

We will not have internet access for awhile, so if you have to get a hold of us, use our sat phone email address.
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada