Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Merry Christmas

24 December 2010 | "Swimming Pool" - Holandas Islands, San Blas, Panama
Ralph
It was an eventful day yesterday. After doing some boat chores, we headed out with Better Days, Desdemona and Salange to go do some snorkeling. We went back to the same reef as we did the day before and found a couple more crabs. But the highlight of the snorkeling trip was an encounter with dolphins. A pod was coming towards us just as we were leaving, so Karen quickly put on her snorkel and mask and jumped in with them. They were not moving very fast and Karen swam close behind them - she said she was almost close enough to touch one of them!

Then later that afternoon we did the dingy raftup party. Everybody made some snacks and they got passed around - delicious. We ended up beside a boat called Osprey and it turns out that we had met them in the Bahamas last year at Cambridge Cay at Christmas time when our kids were up there.

Not long into the party a new boat was coming into the anchorage and then grounded on a sand bar - it was BAD. About 8 dingys went over to help. I was skeptical about getting them off, but John from Osprey really knew his stuff - He had the boat put out their fore sail, which heeled the boat over and then we pushed the nose of the boat around until it was pointing to deeper water. And then a Kuna boat came along with a 40hp motor and pulled from the front, while we pushed and after a lot of shouting they were finally free. We continued on with the raft-up until 7:30 in the evening - it turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected. You can see Desdemona and Salange in the picture.

Karen and I would like to wish all of the blog followers a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year. We are planning a potluck on the beach this evening and are then going over to Better Days for Christmas day dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada