Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Finally...

11 November 2008 | Brunswick Landing Marina
Ralph
Well, yesterday was a big day for us. Dave came over at around 9:00 and it was a perfect day to get the sails on. The Head Sail went on real easy and in no time, we had it hoisted up and had it furled. The main sail took a little longer as it is much larger and we had to put battens in the sail once we had it on. Our main sail has 2 reefs in it and we spent some time trying to figure out how to set up the reefing lines, but were unsuccessful - needs to go on our To-Do list and get that figured out. When the wind starts blowing hard, you can reduce you sail size by putting a reef in the sail, so its very important that we get this figured out.

After lunch it was now time to actually take the boat out. Leaving the dock was very easy as the boat was pointing out, so I just had to drive forward and there were no obstacles in my way. We headed down the east river and followed it out all the way to the ocean - about 5 or 6 miles. We motored all the way there and then turned around and put out the Head Sail and sailed back. The wind was light and with only the one sail up we didn't get going too fast. I think our top speed was about 5 knots. But it was a very enjoyable day. The weather was beautiful. We passed lots of boat that were shrimping and saw numerous dolphins. We did have one small issue. When it came time to roll up the sails , I tried to start the engines, but got nothing except a clicking noise. After a bit of scrambling around and jiggling the battery connections, we got the engines running again and headed back to the dock. We were hoping to come back to the slip we had been using on dock 1, but the dockmaster directed us to the last slip on dock 3. This was my first time docking the boat, so everyone was a little nervous. Because the boat has 2 engines, steering is very different than the boat we were used to in Vancouver. But with the 2 engines, you actually have more control, once you get the hang of it. Bringing the boat in, I did not steer with the wheel, but just used the 2 engines to maneuver. I was lucky and got it right the first time and pulled into the slip without a problem. It was a great day and was real nice to take the boat out. But we did add some new items to the To-Do list, which always seems to be growing. There is a couple of new pictures put up in the photo gallery.
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada