Flour Girl

The Homeschooling of Zack on a Cheoy Lee Offshore 44

23 April 2017 | Ascension Island, South Atlantic
20 December 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
26 November 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
29 October 2016 | Moramba Bay,Madagascar
02 October 2016 | Russian Bay,Madagascar
28 August 2016 | Grand Bay, Mauritius
15 August 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
18 July 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
22 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling, Australia
07 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island, Australia
21 May 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island
01 April 2016 | Krabi Thailand
28 March 2016 | Phuket Thailand
10 March 2016 | Khao Lak, Thailand
28 February 2016 | Phi Phi Don, Thailand
16 February 2016 | Phuket Thailand
12 February 2016 | Phuket
22 January 2016 | Phuket Thailand
31 December 2015 | Phuket (poo-KET), Thailand

The Rio Chagres

04 February 2013 | Rio Chagras, Panama
We decided to leave the lovely anchorage in front of the Club Nautico in the Panama Canal area. This was actually the worst (with the exception of St Eustacias) anchorage we have been in. A very tight anchorage with a lee shore of big ships and rock, with a big fetch and ship wakes at all hours of the day and night. The decision was a bit difficult to make as we needed to thread our way back thru the Panama Canal traffic of huge freighters at anchor and moving. Also the wind is blowing 20-25 gusting to 30 knots and I knew it will be miserable getting out of the harbor. We can see the waves crashing over the stone breakwater of the canal harbor. Oh well, we can't stay here cause it really is miserable. We will need to come back and provision for a few days before our transit, on David's birthday the 16th. He actually says transiting the canal will be the best birthday present he has ever received. Good for him!

So we pulled up the anchor in big winds and headed for the breakwater. This is going to be bad. The waves are crashing onto the decks and I am driving, a few bad words may have slipped my lips. We got into the entrance channel and with just the staysail to steady us and the engine going we came into the 10 foot waves against the current. The waves alone would not have been so bad but they had a 4 second interval, which means they just kept coming with a huge chop. Sueno was behind us and Nathalie told me later that Flour Girl was disappearing between the waves. We have had better sails. We are both pretty well soaked. Zack stayed down below with a movie and said he barely noticed anything. That kid is a born sailor! I punched the engine to get us thru the worst of it and we kept heading out to make sure we were clear of the stone breakwater before tuning downwind. I was dreading the turn because there was no way we were going to come around fast enough to avoid the waves crashing onto our beam. I was right and we took a huge wave over the side soaking both of us to the bone. I gave the wheel to David and tried to get my calm back together. I was back on the helm in a few minutes and the rest of the sail was very pleasant downwind to the Rio Chagres.

The Rio Chagres is a navigable river, about a hundred yards across and 35 feet deep. The entrance is a bit scary as you come around into it there is a crashing reef on one side and a crashing reef in the middle of the entrance. That coupled with the big seas was pretty exhilarating. We made it thru and the transformation was instant. We were in a peaceful jungle river. The smell was fresh and amazing. The banks are lined with huge hardwood trees and jungle plants, palms and vines. You can hear howler monkeys and there are birds everywhere, we looked for monkeys and crocodiles but did not see any on our way up the river. We traveled about 6 miles up river to find Mac Pelican and anchored with them and Sueno. We had a quiet night and after dinner we hung a chicken carcass overboard to see if we could attract some crocodiles. It did not work and we resorted to shining crocs with a flashlight. You can only see the red of their eyes but it is still pretty cool just to know they are there.

The next day after school we went for a hike thru the jungle. There was a nice path and Paul from MacPelican had gone to check it out first thing in the morning. He had seen Spider Monkeys swinging from the trees and we hoped to see them. It may be that they only come out in the early morning, or maybe we were to noisy. It is difficult to get a group of kids to hike in silence. Zack has been watching a lot of "Man vs Wild" lately and he actually found one of the plants from the show. Unfortunately is was a thorny one you were supposed to avoid. He held it properly but neglected to warn anyone else and David from Sueno got a nasty surprise when he tried to take it from Zack to see it. The Rio Chagres leads into Gatun Lake, which is the middle of the Panama Canal. The trail led out to the lake and we went to check it out. We saw some big freighters being pushed by tugs and it was good to see it before we get there. We saw what looked like a big stick in the water we were hoping it was a crocodile. As we got closer it started to move and it was really cool for the kids. It was about 7 feet long. The lake is supposed to have a lot of crocs and hopefully we will get a better sighting when we transit.

Another great potluck on Sueno and Zack and Finley stayed for a sleep over before MacPelican heads to Shelter Bay Marina to haul out before going thru the canal. David and I are really glad we spent the month in Grenada getting our stuff done.
Comments
Vessel Name: Flour Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Cheoy Lee Offshore 44
Hailing Port: Coral Bay, St John USVI
Social:
Flour Girl's Photos - Main
66 Photos
Created 16 October 2014
94 Photos
Created 15 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 3 February 2014
53 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2013
French polynesia
111 Photos
Created 2 August 2013
44 Photos
Created 18 July 2013
90 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
55 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
7 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
129 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
98 Photos
Created 26 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 7 January 2013
130 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
68 Photos
Created 16 November 2012
108 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
60 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
17 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
90 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
120 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
39 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
25 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
123 Photos
Created 31 May 2012