Flour Girl

The Homeschooling of Zack on a Cheoy Lee Offshore 44

23 April 2017 | Ascension Island, South Atlantic
20 December 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
26 November 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
29 October 2016 | Moramba Bay,Madagascar
02 October 2016 | Russian Bay,Madagascar
28 August 2016 | Grand Bay, Mauritius
15 August 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
18 July 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
22 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling, Australia
07 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island, Australia
21 May 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island
01 April 2016 | Krabi Thailand
28 March 2016 | Phuket Thailand
10 March 2016 | Khao Lak, Thailand
28 February 2016 | Phi Phi Don, Thailand
16 February 2016 | Phuket Thailand
12 February 2016 | Phuket
22 January 2016 | Phuket Thailand
31 December 2015 | Phuket (poo-KET), Thailand

Haircuts in the Glapagos

19 April 2013 | Puerta Villamil, Isabella - Galapagos
So our friends on Galavanter had their haircut and they looked pretty good, so I coaxed Zack into getting a haircut. He was starting to look like a sheepdog with dreads. His hair was a mess from all the beach time. So the kids on Sueno decided they wanted haircuts as well. We do a lot together! So I asked Adam how he was able to communicate how he would like his hair cut. He sort of just laughed at me. He speaks very little Spanish. So we went. Zack went first. He sat in the seat and without a word, except to check the price - $5, the lady starts cutting his hair. There was nothing to be said, she just went at it. Poor Zack, I don't think he wanted it so short, but all the kids were having such a great time laughing at each other it really didn't matter. He looks extremely handsome! It is a little longer on the top and shorter around the sides and back. If his hair was dark he would look very latino. He did seem pretty happy with the cut. So then went Maxim, 13 years old and he just sat down to take his chances. He got basically the same cut and as he has dark hair and a great tan he could pass for latino, Guillaume next and his was fairly short to start with so his came out really short. Noemie just got a trim. Look for pictures of Zack coming up - so cute!

Diesel in the night: So there are two ways to buy fuel in the Galapagos, the legal and the illegal. Ecuador subsidizes fuel for locals and the pay $1US a gallon. But, that price is NOT for visiting yachts. Our friends bought fuel legally. You need to arrange through your agent to see the port captain. You pay $12 for a permit and $5.25 a gallon. Ok, but you are supposed to then be able to take your jerry cans to the station to fill them with a specified number of gallons. That is not what happens, your fuel is then delivered by the same guy who delivers fuel illegally, in the same dirty tanks, except now you need to pay him $15 dollars for a delivery charge. The only difference is your fuel comes in the day. We tried to find a way to be able to buy fuel at the pump, because we would rather pay more and have clean fuel. Well that wasn't going to happen. So, we heard thru the grapevine that our agent was now selling $4 fuel. We needed fuel so we have to get it, dirty or not. A few boats were asking the agent for fuel over the VHF so we got on and put in our name. The agent seems to forget a lot of things so usually you need to keep on it. He said he would get back to us the next day. Well at nine o clock, as we were going to bed, a boat shows up with our fuel, totally unexpected. It was super rolly in the anchorage and David needed to filter the fuel so we asked in Spanish, sort of, if we could keep the tanks until morning. Well I thought he said he would be back in an hour, He showed up the next day at about four in the afternoon.

David had to siphon the gas out of the 20 gallon tanks into a filter and into our tanks. He was cursing a storm because it was making quite a mess, but he got thru it. The next day we found out we were the only ones who had received fuel the previous night. The other boats had actually been on their boats waiting all afternoon. So we were the lucky ones.

We are starting to come together on getting ready to leave the Galapagos. Sad, we love it here and the next passage is 20 - 30 days. As I am writing this I can hear a sea lion around the boat, the marine life here is amazing. Zack and I went to the "farm" this afternoon. It is great, and he loved it. He helped the guide find all the ripe fruit and vegetables. You know your produce is fresh when you pick it. We got a bunch of stuff, watermelon, pineapple, basil, cilantro, passion fruits, peppers, tomatoes. I went into town, and we are stocked with meat and eggs. So we are ready, Tuesday morning I think.
Comments
Vessel Name: Flour Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Cheoy Lee Offshore 44
Hailing Port: Coral Bay, St John USVI
Social:
Flour Girl's Photos - Main
66 Photos
Created 16 October 2014
94 Photos
Created 15 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 3 February 2014
53 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2013
French polynesia
111 Photos
Created 2 August 2013
44 Photos
Created 18 July 2013
90 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
55 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
7 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
129 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
98 Photos
Created 26 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 7 January 2013
130 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
68 Photos
Created 16 November 2012
108 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
60 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
17 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
90 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
120 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
39 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
25 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
123 Photos
Created 31 May 2012