Flour Girl

The Homeschooling of Zack on a Cheoy Lee Offshore 44

23 April 2017 | Ascension Island, South Atlantic
20 December 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
26 November 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
29 October 2016 | Moramba Bay,Madagascar
02 October 2016 | Russian Bay,Madagascar
28 August 2016 | Grand Bay, Mauritius
15 August 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
18 July 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
22 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling, Australia
07 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island, Australia
21 May 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island
01 April 2016 | Krabi Thailand
28 March 2016 | Phuket Thailand
10 March 2016 | Khao Lak, Thailand
28 February 2016 | Phi Phi Don, Thailand
16 February 2016 | Phuket Thailand
12 February 2016 | Phuket
22 January 2016 | Phuket Thailand
31 December 2015 | Phuket (poo-KET), Thailand

Stuck in Ascension

23 April 2017 | Ascension Island, South Atlantic
Kim
Let me start by apologizing to all my faithful readers, I've let my blog lax for quite some time now, and I am sorry. It has not been for a lack of interesting doings on our part. On the contrary we have been having a grand time. Here's a quick synopsis and I will try to get back to it and write proper blogs soon. We have been back to Kruger National Park with David's brother, spent a week surfing on Muizenberg Beach near Capetown South Africa, well Zack and David surfed, it was too cold for me! We sailed around to Namibia and had a lovely time there. Thanks to Mary Hellen for sending us a bit of cash which we promptly spent, rather frivolously on sand boarding and renting quad bikes to drive around on the sand dunes with. Zack had his own quad bike and totally rocked it, no fear at all. On our way to Namibia we anchored off of Dassen Island in South Africa and found ourselves in a huge pod of whales. There were about thirty very close to us and another thirty or so that we could see in the distance. We were so close, basically surrounded by them that the fish smell was overwhelming. It was amazing and we spent about 2 hours sitting and watching them. We left Namibia with plans for a quick stop in St Helena and then home. Our autopilot gave it up 3 days out of Namibia. Three days is a fair investment into a passage and we decided to carry on hand steering to St. Helena. It may not sound so bad, but trust me, it is horrible. Seven days of steering is a lot, 24 hours a day someone needs to be at the wheel. Zack, as always, was great, taking 10 to 15 minutes every hour or so, and even longer on occasion. He steered for an entire hour once so I could make him some nachos. We made it to St Helena and were able to source the parts we needed. It was difficult to find someone to send the parts to Ascension Island which was now going to be our next stop. We contacted some old friends from the yacht Galavanter and they volunteered to sort it for us. We haven't seen them since New Zealand, and they were ready to help. One of the reasons I love this cruising community, everyone is always there to help each other. David did find a company to ship the parts directly so he ordered them and had them sent to Ascension. No problem, a plane comes in from the UK twice a week, so 5 to 7 days and we should be back in business. We had to hand steer to Ascension, 6 days. Not so bad and certainly better than the 30 it would take to reach Trinidad. So here we sit, 23 days later, on Ascension Island. Two days after we arrived on Ascension we learned that the airport was closed to large planes due to runway damage. There has been one small plane but our part was not on it. It is a small part so we had big hopes. Nobody knows when the next plane will arrive, but definitely not this week. We met Tom on a catamaran passing through. David speaks to everyone we meet in hopes that they may have the spare parts we need. Tom had planned to put in the same steering unit we have and had spare parts. He came over with the exact belt we needed and promised to come over with the rest of the unit. He did, but the one piece we needed off of the unit was missing. So here we sit. What we need is a small cog of specific dimensions. We brought it in yesterday to see if we can get one manufactured. It's a long shot as there is not a machine shop here. The Harbor Master took the part and said he will try to make one for us, but no promises. So, that is our update, we may be here a while. The people of Ascension could not be nicer, so that is good. The landing to get onto the island is a nightmare so we have spent a lot of time on the boat. The water is lovely but there are sharks everywhere, most in the 2 meter range. We are not swimming! We did watch turtles laying eggs and baby turtles hatching and making their way to the sea, where most are promptly eaten by the sharks cruising the beaches. There is a large public pool here and we have been several times. Zack has met some of the local kids and had some good kid time. We will keep you all posted on our progress here and if anyone is planning a visit to Ascension Island let us know so you can bring the part we need. Laugh if you will, but this was the actual suggestion of the local post office. Cheers!
Comments
Vessel Name: Flour Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Cheoy Lee Offshore 44
Hailing Port: Coral Bay, St John USVI
Social:
Flour Girl's Photos - Main
66 Photos
Created 16 October 2014
94 Photos
Created 15 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 3 February 2014
53 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2013
French polynesia
111 Photos
Created 2 August 2013
44 Photos
Created 18 July 2013
90 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
55 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
7 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
129 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
98 Photos
Created 26 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 7 January 2013
130 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
68 Photos
Created 16 November 2012
108 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
60 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
17 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
90 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
120 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
39 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
25 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
123 Photos
Created 31 May 2012