Flour Girl

The Homeschooling of Zack on a Cheoy Lee Offshore 44

23 April 2017 | Ascension Island, South Atlantic
20 December 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
26 November 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
29 October 2016 | Moramba Bay,Madagascar
02 October 2016 | Russian Bay,Madagascar
28 August 2016 | Grand Bay, Mauritius
15 August 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
18 July 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
22 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling, Australia
07 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island, Australia
21 May 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island
01 April 2016 | Krabi Thailand
28 March 2016 | Phuket Thailand
10 March 2016 | Khao Lak, Thailand
28 February 2016 | Phi Phi Don, Thailand
16 February 2016 | Phuket Thailand
12 February 2016 | Phuket
22 January 2016 | Phuket Thailand
31 December 2015 | Phuket (poo-KET), Thailand

Epic Birthday Party

09 September 2014 | Fiji
Kim
We are back in Vuda point Marina to check out of Fiji and to celebrate Zack's 9th birthday. There has been a lot of wind and the seas are up so we needed to find something to do on land. The choices were pretty limited so we decided on the Big Bula Water park at Denarau Marina. It is a blowup water park but some of the slides looked good. I sent an email and was assured it was age appropriate for a nine year old. It was a great choice, totally age appropriate. We took a taxi down to the park from Vuda Point just for ease of operations. When we were filling out the paperwork and signing the releases the clerk realized it was Zack's birthday and gave all three kids a 40% discount, which made the price very reasonable. The park wasn't huge but definitely a fair amount of rides with a section for just under 5's. The park was not crowded at all and it felt like we were having our own private party. Zack, Finnley, and Natalie spent the morning checking out the slides and there were 2 that were quite high, a few smaller but fast slides Nothing like a water slide on a hot day. There were plenty of shaded picnic tables and the adults got comfortable because we were going to be there all day. There was a blow up pool next to us with blow up basketball hoops and blowup see-saws. It looked a little young for our gang but they jumped in to cool off. There are attendants at all the rides and the attendant at the pool was a young Fijian guy maybe 20 or so years old. We were calling him "rugby guy" because he was built like an athlete. He spent hours playing with the kids. He would play basketball, tackle, tickle and dive at the kids. Once he took a little breather on the outside of the pool and came back into the pool in a running shallow dive. The kids were crazy for this guy, he was truly amazing with them. He was non-stop fun. We were getting tired just watching. Needless to say the kids spent hours in the pool playing with rugby guy. It was getting late so I gave the kids a fair warning that if they wanted to try any other rides they had only a short time to do it. They were convinced to get out of the pool so they could do all the other fun stuff. They all did the blowup climbing wall. It was about 15 meters high. To climb it they put you into a climbing harness and off you went. It was a coconut tree and the object was to touch the coconuts at the top of the tree. They all made it. The fun part was repelling down the once you had tagged the coconuts. The attendant would hold you, but let you drop a bit as you swung out. Gotta love these guys for being so into playing with the kids. After the climbing tree it was time for virtual surfing. Think mechanical bull but surf style. There was a blowup wave for background effect, but what it really needed was a hose spraying water in your face to make the ride realistic. All the kids were into it though and it was fun to watch how serious they all were trying to stay on the board. The ride got tougher the longer you were on it. They all got some good rides in. We had some chocolate cupcakes, but Zack did not want us to sing to him in the park. A few more water slides and it was unfortunately time to go. Zack said it was an epic party!!

We headed back to Vuda Point and MacPelican came over for dinner and birthday cake. All in all a great day. I had made a pinata for Zack's birthday but we decided to wait for the next day when LaFiesta would be in Vuda so that Natalie could join in the fun. It was sort of an excuse because my pinata was not quite ready. I had made it the day before because I could not find a pinata in all of Lautoka. For Zack's eighth birthday we also had to make a pinata, because it is not a good party unless there is a pinata. Last year though Nathalie from Sueno helped me. This year I struck out on my own. I had a simple design, just a blown up balloon, how difficult could that be? Not too difficult but what a mess. I didn't have a lot of time so I had decided to skip that whole dry in between layers step. I am pretty sure that is why it didn't dry in time. I left it out to dry all day tied to one of the jib sheet halyards. When we returned from the water park it was gone. The balloon had popped, but fortunately I found the pinata on the deck behind the kayak. Next dilemma, how am I supposed to close it off and make a rope to tie it up in a tree? I could not come up with anything that I thought would hold for my somewhat flimsy pinata. So, I put in some lollies and sealed it off with some paper, glue and tape. I took it into the boatyard and had Zack find a stick. I then pitched the pinata to the kids and they hit it baseball style till it broke. Surprisingly my pinata stood up to three rounds of whacking. The candy got a little sandy but what's a little boat yard dirt anyway.

We are now out of the marina and on our way to Vanuatu. We left with MacPelican and there are a few other kid boats heading that way soon, so it should be a good time. So, Vinaka Vaka Levu to Fiji or thank you very much Fiji we have had a great time sailing here, catching up with old friends and meeting lots of new friends.
Comments
Vessel Name: Flour Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Cheoy Lee Offshore 44
Hailing Port: Coral Bay, St John USVI
Social:
Flour Girl's Photos - Main
66 Photos
Created 16 October 2014
94 Photos
Created 15 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 3 February 2014
53 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2013
French polynesia
111 Photos
Created 2 August 2013
44 Photos
Created 18 July 2013
90 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
55 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
7 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
129 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
98 Photos
Created 26 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 7 January 2013
130 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
68 Photos
Created 16 November 2012
108 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
60 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
17 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
90 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
120 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
39 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
25 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
123 Photos
Created 31 May 2012