Flour Girl

The Homeschooling of Zack on a Cheoy Lee Offshore 44

23 April 2017 | Ascension Island, South Atlantic
20 December 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
26 November 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
29 October 2016 | Moramba Bay,Madagascar
02 October 2016 | Russian Bay,Madagascar
28 August 2016 | Grand Bay, Mauritius
15 August 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
18 July 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
22 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling, Australia
07 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island, Australia
21 May 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island
01 April 2016 | Krabi Thailand
28 March 2016 | Phuket Thailand
10 March 2016 | Khao Lak, Thailand
28 February 2016 | Phi Phi Don, Thailand
16 February 2016 | Phuket Thailand
12 February 2016 | Phuket
22 January 2016 | Phuket Thailand
31 December 2015 | Phuket (poo-KET), Thailand

City Life

29 November 2014 | Australia (Land Of Oz)
Kim
We are loving Brisbane. Not being "city folks" we are surprised to find we are really enjoying our time here. There is just so much to do. When we first arrived we anchored off the Botanic Gardens by the public pilings. We were a bit hesitant because the tide changes are huge and with a mud bottom we were worried about dragging. We had heard it was difficult to secure a piling berth but we weren't anchored more than 2 hours when two became available. It was a definite coincidence because none have become available since. David went and tied some lines to the piles and Stefan on the boat in front helped us into the spot and handed us the lines. Zack tied up the front and David got the aft line so no worries. We spent our first few days walking around and each day brought a new surprise. We found a rain forest walk along the river, bike paths everywhere. Almost the entire riverfront is devoted to parks, bike paths and recreation. People are out everywhere biking, jogging and walking. We found the nicest public pool I have ever seen. It is huge and has beach sand on one side, so it feels like you are at the beach except on the other side your view is skyscrapers. There is an area for younger kids with lots of water activities, even Zack got into these with pans of water that fill and drop randomly on your head. We have been to the pool a few times. Zack found a large diamond earring at the bottom of the pool and was sure we were rich. Unfortunately it was pretty obviously a bauble and plastic, he was a bit disappointed. Next to the pool if a public garden. It is organic and you are free to pick herbs, which there are lots of. There are fruits and vegetables but I am not sure how that works, I think they give away what is ready each day but we have not been there at the right times. We have been enjoying the fresh herbs. There is a great museum that is free. We spent a day there with our friends from MacPelican and had a great time. Zack and Finn took off on their own so not sure if they really learned all that much. Bernadette had brought some worksheets for them but they did not want to do them. Nice try anyway. There are playgrounds everywhere but Zack is getting a bit old for them. On Sunday afternoons there is free music on one of the green spaces. We were wandering by when we discovered it. They even put out chairs for people and there were blocks and baci balls to play with. There are even public grills that are free for the public to use all over the place, with picnic tables and water. It is really unbelievable the things that are available for free public use here, and it is all clean and well cared for. Brisbane would be a great place to live. There is also all sorts of shopping and restaurants are everywhere, with all sorts of ethnic choices.

We have purchased bicycles on GumTree which is the Australian version of ebay. We bought 3 bikes for $100. They weren't in great shape but for the price whose complaining. The very next day David found a great deal on a bike and bought that also. We now have 4 bikes. There are trails everywhere and the city is very bike friendly. You can ride just about anywhere. We have been out everyday since, checking out even more of Brisbane. To cross the river there are bridges that are only for bikes and pedestrians. It is all very safe and Zack has been loving it. It has made school a little more challenging as we really just want to be out doing stuff. There are also free city hopper ferries that allow bikes on to cross the river. It is just so easy to get around, and so much to get around to. Thanks to GumTree, Santa even came early and brought Zack an awesome surfboard. We were looking for one for Christmas and when this one came on we just had to get it. It would be difficult to hide so we just gave it to him. He was stoked and now can't wait to get out to a surf beach.

We put the surfboard in Zack's bedroom and were glad we did. It was sort of a joke before we figured out where to store it on deck. Brisbane was hit with a "super cell" storm and we were in the middle of it. We have had one torrential downpour since we arrived and were expecting the same. David saw it on the radar and figured he had time to run to the grocery store, so he was off the boat. Zack and I were working on some school and all was quiet. In an instant that all changed. There was a whooshing sound and it was on. I'm not sure we saw as much but the papers said the wind was 85 knots. It was strong and constant. We saw at least 50 but not 85. The rain was torrential and Zack and I ran out to the cockpit to get in anything we could. The rain was sort of painful and it took me a minute to realize it was golf ball size hail. The wind was blowing so hard that Zack got hit in the face with hail when he was down below in the main salon. By the time we got the drop boards in the inside of the boat was soaked and there were hail balls everywhere. We were sure glad we were on the pilings. There were several boats on anchor in front of the pilings and 2 of them dragged anchor into the pilings but fortunately on the other side and we were not affected. The people that had to go outside to deal with it were wearing bicycle helmets, it was hailing that hard. When it finally subsided and we were able to go out and asses the damage where we found that the eisenglass above the helm had been shot through and was ruined, the plastic on the fishing rod holder was cracked, and the plastic over the tachometer was cracked. We also had a few small holes in the bimini from sharp hail stones. We were pretty lucky compared to others. We had our canvas sunshades up and they protected our dodger. Every other boat had shredded dodgers, with huge holes where the hail just went through. We went to check on MacPelican and their dodger was ruined and Paul's surfboard looked as though it had been used as a target for pellet gun practice, totally ruined. In town lots of trees limbs were down and some buildings had windows broken and a roof blew off of an apartment. We saw cars that were dented all over. What a mess, but still no comparison to a hurricane. We are fine and nothing that can't be fixed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Flour Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Cheoy Lee Offshore 44
Hailing Port: Coral Bay, St John USVI
Social:
Flour Girl's Photos - Main
66 Photos
Created 16 October 2014
94 Photos
Created 15 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 3 February 2014
53 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2013
French polynesia
111 Photos
Created 2 August 2013
44 Photos
Created 18 July 2013
90 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
55 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
7 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
129 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
98 Photos
Created 26 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 7 January 2013
130 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
68 Photos
Created 16 November 2012
108 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
60 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
17 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
90 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
120 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
39 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
25 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
123 Photos
Created 31 May 2012