Flour Girl

The Homeschooling of Zack on a Cheoy Lee Offshore 44

23 April 2017 | Ascension Island, South Atlantic
20 December 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
26 November 2016 | Richards Bay, South Africa
29 October 2016 | Moramba Bay,Madagascar
02 October 2016 | Russian Bay,Madagascar
28 August 2016 | Grand Bay, Mauritius
15 August 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
18 July 2016 | Port Mathurin, Rodrigues
22 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling, Australia
07 June 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island, Australia
21 May 2016 | Cocos Keeling Island
01 April 2016 | Krabi Thailand
28 March 2016 | Phuket Thailand
10 March 2016 | Khao Lak, Thailand
28 February 2016 | Phi Phi Don, Thailand
16 February 2016 | Phuket Thailand
12 February 2016 | Phuket
22 January 2016 | Phuket Thailand
31 December 2015 | Phuket (poo-KET), Thailand

Maintenance Month Delayed for Surfing

11 March 2015 | Sydney, Australia
Kim
Maintenance month started with a bang. David was greasing winches and I was sanding decks, Zack was finishing whole days at school (a small miracle). We were up in the Pittwater area on a mooring and life was boring and responsible. The winches got done and the largest and most difficult part of painting the decks, the white parts, is done. The decks and cockpit came out a lot better this time. We first painted them in Grenada and by the time we were done I may have had heat stroke. The weather in Australia is far more conducive to painting and could be considered pleasant, if painting is how you want to spend your time. We, however do not want to spend our time painting, especially since the addition of surfboards from Santa. We tried to anchor the boat close enough to the surf beach in Pittwater, Palm Beach. There are surf beaches everywhere in Australia, but it is difficult to find a surf beach with an anchorage close enough to make walking with all the gear practical. The anchorage by Palm Beach was just too shallow and we found ourselves bouncing on the mooring block at sunset. Not going to work for us. We spent a few days in Refuge Bay waiting for winds to take us back to Sydney. The bay is well protected and as calm as a lake. We did a lot of kayaking and played on the small beach. The bay is full of moorings, but during the week you are almost alone. Friday evening this all changes. The weekend warriors come out in force. They rent house boats and come to party. By Saturday morning there were at least 50 boats in the bay. It was great for Zack as a few of the boats had kids. He jumped in his kayak and was off for the day. One boat actually stopped by on their way out to tell us the had met Zack and heard his stories. They told us what a great guy he is and it was really nice to hear. Zack is a really cool dude.

So, the wind came around and we headed back to Sydney. There is just so much to do here. We have all decided that we want to move to Sydney, it is just that cool. We are going to keep sailing but who knows, maybe someday. We are on a mooring at Quarantine Beach. Some of the painting of the non-skid has been done. Not sure it will ever be finished. Surfing Manly is just way too much fun!! We keep skipping out on work and school to catch waves, not so sure this is a good parenting plan but, whatever, you only live once. The beach at Manly is perfect. The waves are reasonable, in the meter range and there is plenty of beach so that the really hot surfer people can have their section and the tossers, like us, can have another section. Zack is tearing it up. He weighs nothing and can therefore look at a wave, wait for it to get to him, jump on the board, give a half hearted paddle and pop up. He rides 50 waves a day and is smiling the entire time. David and I are still in the initiation stage of surfing. We have finally both swallowed enough sea water that the surf gods are allowing us to stand up and get one really good ride first thing in the morning. We than struggle to catch a few more waves where we actually stand up and ride. David starts first and after three rides it is my turn. I stay out and do my best to get three rides. Than we rest. Then we repeat. This goes on until we no longer feel we have the energy to paddle out one more time. Zack surfs the entire time and then we have to drag him off the beach. Surfing only catches up with him when it is time for school, then he is so tired he cannot even hold a pencil. Not sure I believe him. It is supposed to rain for the next couple of days so we may get some rest. I am hoping the good fairies come along and finish my paint job because we just want to surf!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Flour Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Cheoy Lee Offshore 44
Hailing Port: Coral Bay, St John USVI
Social:
Flour Girl's Photos - Main
66 Photos
Created 16 October 2014
94 Photos
Created 15 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 3 February 2014
53 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2013
French polynesia
111 Photos
Created 2 August 2013
44 Photos
Created 18 July 2013
90 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
55 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
7 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
129 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
98 Photos
Created 26 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 7 January 2013
130 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
68 Photos
Created 16 November 2012
108 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
60 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
17 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
90 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
120 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
39 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
25 Photos
Created 27 July 2012
123 Photos
Created 31 May 2012