Foggy Mountain

05 September 2012 | North Palm Beach, FL
12 June 2012 | North Palm Beach Marine
18 May 2012 | Exiting NW Providence Channel
17 May 2012 | NE Providence Channel
16 May 2012 | 88 Miles East of NE Providence Channel
15 May 2012 | 210 Miles East of NE Providence Channel
14 May 2012 | 170 Miles NE of Mayaguana Island
13 May 2012 | 180 Miles NE of Turks and Caicos
12 May 2012 | Still North of Puerto Rico
11 May 2012 | 170 Miles North of Puerto Rico
10 May 2012 | 50 Miles NE of the BVIs
09 May 2012 | 25 Miles West of Barbuda
08 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
07 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
05 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
05 May 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
11 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
09 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
08 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
07 April 2012 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua

Life In Charlotte Amalie

14 February 2012 | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI
Jeff
We've been here in Charlotte Amalie for over a month now watching the cruise ships come and go. Tuesdays and Wednesdays seem to be the busiest with typically at least three ships at the pier here in Long Bay. And occasionally there has been a fourth anchored behind us. One morning, about 6:00 am, we were greeted by the bow of Disney Magic almost right over our cockpit when they began dropping their anchor. At first somewhat frightening but it turned out fine and it was interesting.

Charlotte Amalie has some interesting contrasts. First thing that comes to mind is that it is home to the only Ferris Wheel that I am aware of in any of the Caribbean islands. It is located here on the south side of Long Bay and to get to it you can ride on the only aerial tram that I have ever seen in the islands that we have visited. Charlotte Amalie has all the common noises you would hear in any city in the States: heavy semi-trucks, ambulance sirens, police sirens, planes flying overhead, car horns. So when we wake up it seems like we could be an any harbor in the States that is until we hear a rooster crowing. Then we know we are anchored in the Caribbean. In fact, the other day we were walking across the street from what could have been an apartment complex in the States except for the chickens running around the grounds. Very interesting. Now contrary to the States they drive on the left here in the USVI. But unlike other islands in the Caribbean where the vehicles are primarily right hand drive for the left side of the road, the vehicles here are left hand drive. This has always been weird to me, but I guess you can get use to anything.

In any case, we have completed most everything that we came here for, read shopping. So, now we hope to leave here tomorrow and beat our way east to St. John where we plan to pick up some packages that should have been delivered there. Right now weather permitting we will be returning to Caneel Bay for its good access to the internet and Cruz Bay where our packages are. Then we even might get some time to get in the water and play a bit even though its quite cold at 80 degrees. We have expereinced a big cool down here in the USVI with highs in the low 80s and lows as low as the low 70s. This has been a big change from the 90 plus temperatures that we had in Grenada for the summer months. So if all goes well we will be celebrating Pam's birthday on the 16th in one of St. John's harbors where we will probalby make the next blog entry. Hopefully by that time I will have pulled together our costs for last year so I can put together a blog post on that.
Comments
Vessel Name: Foggy Mountain
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 40, Hull# 255
Hailing Port: Boston, Ma
Crew: Jeff & Pam Nelson
About:
We grew up in Jamestown, NY and met during our high school years. After Jeff returned from naval service, during the Vietnam era, we got married in 1974. As best friends we have always gravitated towards activities that we could do together. [...]
Extra:
We are self-taught sailors taking our first sail aboard a Sunfish on a lake in Maine. We bought our first boat in 1975 and since then have owned seven boats culminating with our current vessel "Foggy Mountain". Each vessel was larger enabling us to expand our horizons. We learned how to cruise [...]

Our Background

Who: Jeff & Pam Nelson
Port: Boston, Ma