SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
Once in a lifetime adventure
Puppy Love
Kevin
04/14/2012, Great Guana Cay, Abaco

Always trying to catch some dog time down here. This is Bear, and he is. About 150 pounds of puppy, he had my arm in his mouth shortly after this picture was taken. I still have my arm. Lots of new stuff has been added to the blog in the past few days, you might have to back up a page or two to see it all!

04/17/2012 | becky
Love this shot!
04/20/2012 | Tom
It does look like your on vacation. Just sayin'
Hangin' in Hope Town
Kevin
04/13/2012, Elbow Cay, Abaco

Picture taken while walking around Hope Town. Shoot a picture in almost any direction, and you have a post card. Very pretty town.

04/17/2012 | becky
what a wonderful photo! You both look so happy!
04/25/2012 | BeeJay
You both look like you are having a wonderful time :-)
Crossing to Abaco
Dorothy
04/13/2012, Marsh Harbor, Abaco

Eleuthera crossing to Abacos
Our travels so far have been fairly uneventful. Some sailing has been mild and some has pushed the limits in our abilities. On the Chesapeake Bay we typically sail in anything from 5 to 20 knots of wind where 20 is my upper limit of comfort. In our Bahamas travels we've sailed in winds up to 30 and did well in body, mind and spirit. The seas were good, the sun was shining and we've been with other cruisers in those conditions.

Now for the Eleuthera to Abacos crossing... It was a 50+ mile sail crossing the Northwest Channel into the Atlantic Ocean before we hit the cuts into the Sea of Abaco. We had a weather report from the day before with NNE winds at 10 - 20 knots and a 20% chance of rain. We knew we'd be coming into the Little Harbor channel on the southern Abacos on a rising tide. That means we'd have the current and the wind in the same direction, critical for going through any cut. If the 2 oppose you can get a rage where there can be HUGE breaking seas, not good. Note for future reference... I did not have a report on sea state which provides wave conditions. We had been sailing on the Exuma banks for the last 2 months where it wasn't a critical piece of information.

We woke to sunny skies and 15 knots of wind out of the east... off we go. The beginning of the sail was quite nice, the seas started to build a little as we left the protection of Eleuthera. No biggie, we've been in that before. Foolish Heart was screaming and at one point hit 10.8 knots. Our boat has a hull speed listed at 7.4 knots, we were sailing the heck out of our boat (we averaged 7.7 that day). However, the further we got out in the Atlantic the bigger the seas got and the shorter the duration of those waves. It's one thing to have 8 - 10 foot seas if they are coming every 15 - 20 seconds. Up, Up, Up, Up, Up, Up... Down, Down, Down, Down... slow and steady (very much like our gulf stream crossing in January). Not so lucky on this day, the duration was more like 3 - 6 seconds and the waves started to get confusing and breaking within themselves. It was like UP, UP, UP, SURF down the other side, rinse and repeat. Then the weather started to turn and we had storms in front of us with winds up to 35 knots. I kept asking my Mom, "Please hold the weather off for us. Please get us through this crossing. Please hold the weather. If ever a time for your weather worries to benefit, now is the time." When we got within VHF distance to the cut I called to anyone in the harbor and asked for the current conditions. Not a good response, "Breaking waves, big swells, not a great day for that cut. Maybe try the next one." Well, of the 2 cuts we were considering (both had reefs on either side and both were deep), this was the better of the 2 as it provided a better angle and some protection from the waves. Ugh, what to do??? We did spot 2 other sailboats out on the horizon and managed to catch their conversations on the VHF. One boat made it through the cut but we couldn't hear the conditions. I managed to contact the other boat still out in the Atlantic and he said, "The other boat made it through fine. It will be a few minutes of sheer terror followed by calm seas. You'll be fine." Sheer terror??? Let's go for it, I have always been an adventurous person. One thing about going through any cut, once you commit you keep going. There is no turning around, that's when bad things happen and boats sink. So, we tied ourselves to the binnacle (in case the boat flips and rights itself we would still be attached), floored the engine and went for it. We could see the reefs on either side, waves breaking is a good indication. The seas slowly subsided as the depth decreased and we made it through the cut safe and sound. WHEW!!!!! Actually one of the easier parts of our day. It was exhilarating and scary at the same time.
Kevin held the helm all day and did excellent, my wonderful Captain! Super props to my man for holding it together, manning the helm (it was not easy to stay on track), and keeping me safe and sound. To say the least, we slept well that night. The Abacos await!

Dingy Drift
Kevin
04/13/2012, Hope Town, Abaco

This was the Full Moon Dingy Drift in Hope Town. At around 5pm a group of dingys rafted together upwind in the harbor, and slowly drifted downwind. People drank, passed around food, and walked from boat to boat introducing themselves. Every now and then, someone would have to start their engine to avoid an anchored boat in the harbor. As they passed Foolish Heart, we were barraged with cat calls and insults until we jumped in our tender to join the mass. Very cool.

Big View
Kevin
04/13/2012, Hope Town, Abaco

A view from the top of the Lighthouse of Hope Town Harbor with Foolish Heart in the foreground.

Hope Town
Kevin
04/13/2012, Hope Town, Abaco

A view of the famous Hope Town Lighthouse here on Elbow Cay in Abaco.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

 
Who: Kevin Irwin, Dorothy Irwin
Port: Havre De Grace, Maryland
View Complete Profile »
 
 

 
Powered by SailBlogs